AAAHH!!! My Giant Black Cochin Roo Boy is HUGE!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Keri78, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    Ok..I need reassurance that I haven't lost my mind! (Says one crazy "chicken lady" as my Hubby Lovingly refers to me now....to the BYC goers!LOL) I have two banty black frizzle girls that I wanted a roo for. Sooo...I bought a Black Smooth Cochin Roo boy in hopes that this would work out well. Well, he's only about 14 weeks old and he's ENORMOUS!!![​IMG] I think he may be considere "Giant"...my one little black banty is seriously not even as tall as his leg and my other girl is not much bigger! When they walk around together it looks like he could have pooped them out!(lol)[​IMG] So far he's a goofy clumsy very sweet non-agressive to a fault kinda guy but I'm afraid that once he realizes that he's a man it's going to be game over for my poor girls and I would be afraid of him too if he became agressive. I took the "girls" out of his pen b/c I didn't want him to mature and accidently hurt them when I'm away on vaca next week. I have a giant blue cochin girl in with him and they love each other! OK..so tell me if I'm overthinking this whole situation. Should I rehome him to someone who enjoys beastly roos and try again in the spring to get a banty roo for the girls. Should I leave him and "Silvy" my blue Giant Cochin girl together and then add a couple more large cochins in the spring? What other colors could I breed with him? I have a smooth red banty roo that could easily breed with my tiny black frizzle girls without injuring them but I thought breeding red and black was a no-no. Would anyone want to buy fertilized banty cochin eggs in this combo? [​IMG] Help a poor confused chicken friend out![​IMG] Blessings, Keri

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  2. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Can't help any but I would love to see pictures of him.

3. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    I'll have to get a pic tomorrow! He's bigger than my 28 week old Buff Orpie girls and he's still a baby! Blessings, Keri

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

How cruel of you .... giving all the narrative and no picture! [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The largest chicken I've ever owned was a Partridge Cochin Roo. My wife said he was bigger than our Golden Retriever... well, eh wasn't that big, but he would have given Nugget a run for the money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by