AAAHHH!!! They came early!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HudokFarm, Mar 3, 2012.

1. HudokFarm

HudokFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Minnesota
    I got a text from McMurray at 04:08 this morning that my chicks had shipped.Then at 06:15 I got a call from our Post Office that they were there and ready to be picked up!! I was expecting them Monday and had such a long list of things to do today to put the finishing touches on my brooder, pick up bedding, etc. [​IMG] Luckily, my husband is not as much of a spaz as I am and came with me. I calmed down a lot. I ordered 25 + a mystery chick and we received 27. One extra Red Star (I had ordered 4) and the mystery chick plus my original 25. No fatalities so far ::knocking on wood::.

So, without further ado, here are some photos: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need to adjust the light...it is obviously too chilly for them. But I cannot do that until the stores open up.

[​IMG]

This is the mystery chick...check out those leg feathers! It has a little darker spot on its back as seen here:

[​IMG]

So wish me luck on my new adventure...I've never even seen a baby chick before today!

PS - How do you guys get such good pics of your chicks?!? [​IMG]

2. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    [​IMG]

3. Kay56

Kay56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    How awesome..... I have 8 coming in May and have so much more to learn by then.....are we really ever ready...... of course not.....lol Good luck!

4. Kiki A

Kiki A Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    SC
    I'm getting one on April first, and two on the fourth. They are SO adorable!

5. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    Good looking chicks, congratulation...

[​IMG]

6. Kiki A

Feb 9, 2012
    SC
    [​IMG]
    That is Pepper, my barred rock. Salt the other barred rock died in January. Meggy, the chick in the back, just laid two eggs yesterday! Clue the brown and white one is also the one that had the santa hat on.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  7. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    How do you get good pics?... Just like you did, they look great!! You can lower your light for more warmth, you may want to look into a red light to keep them from pecking at each other. Very adorable! When we got our first ever chicks, I couldn't identify anybody without lots of research! Good job!

8. Kiki A

Feb 9, 2012
    SC
    Here is another pic. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  9. primalchick

primalchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    Your pics looks great to me!! They are so adorable, congratulations :) I love your little mystery chick! Too cute!

Mine are supposed to arrive on Wednesday. I am sooooo excited as they are my first chicks!

10. HudokFarm

HudokFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Minnesota
    Kiki, thanks for your pics! Your little ones are so cute!!!

Primal, did you order from McMurray too? If you did, just a warning, mine hatched and shipped yesterday. If you ordered a March 5th delivery, yours may be coming early too!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by