Aaahhhhhh Double yolker, alive on day 18. Whats best to do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Harryg1991, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Harryg1991

Harryg1991 New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    Hi everyone, I've just joined but have been on here loads and prob been saved a couple of times. About last year I started to hatch chicks as I noticed the cupboard next to the aga was fairly warm and keeps around 37 pretty well, I got a fairly good hatch so have done it a couple more times. I know this is fairly dodgy as temps and humidity can be pretty vague but it seems to work.

Any hoo, I put a double yolker in with my last batch and Its made it this far, It will be day 19 tomo middayish, Just checked them and shining a torch at the air sac i can see movement. I have read a load of threads but still unsure on whats best to do. I have heard of people helping out on day 19 by pipping the air sac but im tempted to wait a bit longer before jumping in. What do you guys think??

2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Look up on Youtube "twin chickens" or chicks or something like that. Good luck, sorry i couldnt be more help :)

3. Harryg1991

Harryg1991 New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    Cheers john seen a few vids on there, Hope mine goes like them haha

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Just let'm hatch. if one doesn't make it it is okay. don't do what that lady did on you tube and pop'm. one of hers didn't make it anyway.

5. Malibu99

Malibu99 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts

She had two double yolkers. The first one, both chicks lived and became a hen and a rooster. The second one, only one made it. If the chicks are really struggling, you can help it. Other than that, just wait and see what happens.

6. Harryg1991

Harryg1991 New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    Cheers guys, Will give them time and see what happens. May help them out on day 21, Dont worry gimmie birdies have helped a couple before and wont be popping them out :)

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    1 person likes this.
  8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    How COOL! I am sure your keeping a very close eye close eye on them, Nose prints covering that glass on the bator! [​IMG]

Do you have the air cell marked with pencil? bator type?
    Can you tell us a bit of your incubation the first 18 days? temps calibrated? hygro worked well, what humidity? Ventilation turning?

How many other eggs are in the bator? If there are others you will need to be able to keep humidity up by misting the top or sides of the bator (w/o getting eggs wet) because of having to open it. Its ok to open as long as you can get it back up pretty quick! After day 20 or the start of the rest of your hatch I would candle and tap them a few times a day to listen for chirping and look for internal pips. I will pray they hatch out perfectly on their own but you should def be armed with knowing what to do because the chances are high you may need to intervene.
    The chicks can have difficulty positioning for pipping, absorbing the yolk sac, or changing from embryo to chick breathing air.

Sumi gave you the assisted guide, https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching I am still working on adding malpositioned info to it but I do have alot finished so I will paste most important info below from them.....

If you have a pip at the bottom or low sides of the egg it is important to remember when assisting and creating a pip hole or view hole for assessment of MALPOSITIONS

The external pip of a malpositioned chick is actually both an internal and external, these are also the hardest to deal with because they are made directly into a fully active membrane and not into the safety of the air cell. Be extremely careful not to puncture the membranes directly under the
    shell as this is likely to cause a bleed.

I will also add that I have recently switched from using sterile water in an assist to using Q-tips or "Ear Buds" as Sumi calls them, and adding antibacterial ointment to inner membranes, why? because you don't have to keep wetting them and you can see it makes that membrane, and its ANTIBIOTIC, lol. I haven't edited these pics yet but they will also end up part of the article.....DO NOT USE OINTMENT WITH PAIN KILLER!

NOTE BELOW the clear look with the ointment? you can really see how they are progressing without opening the bator, also look close you can see the chick on the right has much more time to go than the chick on the left by their veining.

[​IMG]

I will work on finishing this part up today, as its almost all together, I will let you know when I add it to that assist article [​IMG]

I forgot! you may need to also be prepared for podiatry issues and navel issues, these links are also located in the assisted guide, they are NOT reason to panic and most are easily treated with a little therapy and loving care! https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis (NAVELs) and a few notes below

[​IMG] [​IMG]

CHICKEN ORTHOPEDICS ~

Culling ~

9. Harryg1991

Harryg1991 New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    Thanks sumi and sally for all that info, very useful!!! Sally I wish a had and bator with glass but mine is simply an blue icecream box in a warm cupboard with a thermometer/ humidity read out that i can see from outside the cupboard, very stone age :/ I afraid I can't tell you accurate figures as there literally up and down all the time. If its too hot I lower the box if its too cold I raise it. Seeing as I'm hooked now i will be buying a "real" incubator, or at least a broody hen :D

Have just checked the eggs now and there all moving, no internal pips so have put them back and left them be. The double is looking very full. I can see veins and and movement at the aircell end but the rest of the egg is solid. So That means ones alive a least :)

If the aircells are smaller than I expected is the humidity to high or does this matter??

Thank you all again.

10. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    veins mean not ready to pop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by