Aaawwwwweeeeeeeee!!!!1

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shannoniganshens, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Shannoniganshens

Shannoniganshens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    West TX
    This is our first hatch, these 2 are our first to hatch, I am so excited!!!!! I have no idea what they are, I was lucky to get these 2 out, my broody is so mean, I just wanted a pic [​IMG] [​IMG] YAY!!!!! Anyways, while she was starting her broody, the rest of my hens didn't take her serious and would just sit on her and lay there eggs....So I left them in. I did not expect them to be so tiny!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Aawwee is right! So, so cute![​IMG]

3. Shannoniganshens

Jul 25, 2010
    West TX
    AAAAhhhhh,, I forgot my question!!!! My nursery is a play pen,plastic on the mattress and cut up news paper on it, with chicken wire across the top, with broody and chicks/eggs in a nest box, all four sides are closed, do I need to make an opening in the box, I will open the wire up during the day enough for mama to get out and do her thing. Is this good enough ? If I do have to cut a side open, will it disturb her and her leave her babies ? I love how motherly she is, I don't want her chicks to go hungry or thirst, but I don't know how high chicks can jump, I just don't know!!!!! Except they are 2 cute!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I love the little dark brown one! [​IMG]

5. Shannoniganshens

Jul 25, 2010
    West TX
    It's my favorite [​IMG]

6. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Your nursery sounds fine except for the newspaper. It is very slick and the chicks can develop "spraddle leg" I would recommend going to the dollar store and buying some shelf liner you use for your cabinets. It allows for the chicks to keep their footing and it is washable so very easy to keep clean. I would leave mom and babies in the box for a day or so. She will tell you when she is ready for them to leave. Baby chicks can survive for up to 3 days with the yolk they absorbed. This is how hatcheries ship their chicks. Once they all hatch I would leave them in their nursery for a week or two. After that you should be able to put them with the flock and mom will protect them for the others. If not place her and babies in a separate coop from the others until they are fully feathered.

7. lamelde

lamelde Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2009
    Sparta, WI
    Congrats - I'm a new "mom" as well. My brooding hen is soooo nice - she spouts & spatters but lets me look - I guess I'm lucky [​IMG]

My very first hatch (and hers as well) was this morning - I/we only have one chick so far - I/we were just as excited - it actually brought me out of a deep depression that I've been in for more than a month.

One did not do well - exploded? or something - it was aweful smelly to clean up.

I hope I didn't disturb the remaining 3 eggs too much - but I had to get it out of there ASAP.

I got pictures on my phone - but I don't know how to get them here [​IMG]

My other hens also "donated" eggs for her to hatch - so her "due" dates are the next 3-4 days. One chickeneer told me to remove the first couple of chicks to a brooder so she will not abandon the nest & another told me not to - I'm confused - should I or should I not remove the first couple of chicks? [​IMG]

8. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I love the colors! Congrats!

9. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Too Cute!

10. Shannoniganshens

Jul 25, 2010
    West TX
    O.k. I got the shelf liner, I like it better than shredding newspaper, I figured I would do that every 2 days or so [​IMG], These two ittle babies would be all I'm going to get out of the hatch [​IMG] Mama left the 2 that where hatching, I'm assuming she moved these guys into her feed bowl (filled with medicated chick feed) during the night, all eggs were to hatch in these last few days, the 2 that where getting there weren't moving this morning and in the same hatching process as when I had left them. I put the remaining eggs in the bator this morning, but I don't think they are a go. [​IMG] They are cute and thank you guys!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by