AACCKK!! Did I kill it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fourgirlsoneboy, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Fourgirlsoneboy

Fourgirlsoneboy Pullus Parvus

Aug 16, 2009
    West Virginia
    Ok, ALL of the eggs I had at lockdown hatched except 3. Its been over 24 hours since the last hatch and no pips, so I figured the last three had failed, so I carefully opened one (you know where this is going) to see how far it was when it died and I pulled back a small part of the inner membrane and it started to bleed and MOVED! I put it right back in the bator and upped the humidity- uuuhhg. Have I killed it? Does it have a chance? This was three hours ago and I can still see it shifting in the membrane. I feel so bad!

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Wait and see- don't open the bator again. I hope you get some more chicks, [​IMG]

3. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    aw geez...I will keep my fingers crossed for you too!!!! I am on my first hatch ever, but i have read various posts that have spoke of some straglers taking a bit longer.

4. miss.eggonomics

miss.eggonomics Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2009
    ft. smith
    i hope you didnt kill it! [​IMG]

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    Last spring I place 3 dud eggs in the trash can. Lo and behold 2 of them started chirping and hatched within the hour. They just needed the ultimatum, I guess. Depending on the amount of blood lost you chick may end up just fine. Give it food and keep it warm. Chickens are more durable than we tend to believe sometimes.

6. RonnieAtkeson

RonnieAtkeson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    When I have a ? egg i put it up to my ear and tap it with one finger. Most the time if its still alive you will hear a clicking noise or a chirping noise. You will also notice that a dead in shell will feel noticably cooler than a live chick when the egg is pressed to your ear. You can also try candling to see if you there is a bit of movement at the aircell end of the egg. There might just be a very slight movent where its pipping the membrane at though. I know it seems the eggs should all be the same temp but a dead in shell will be noticable cooler against your ear.

7. Fourgirlsoneboy

Fourgirlsoneboy Pullus Parvus

Aug 16, 2009
    West Virginia
    Thank you- that is great info to have. I will def make sure I do that from now on. Thanks everyone for the encouraging words also!
    Quote:

8. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Good luck. Keep us posted.

9. aalbury

aalbury Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    GA
    The pipping process requires carbon dioxide to get the twitching necessary for the chick to pip. Don't help. Allowing air into the air cell in will stall the hatch. From drawdown to hatch takes 24-48 hours. I learned this the hard way.

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Great info here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by