AACK, ventilation for chicks???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CountryFried, Nov 24, 2010.

1. CountryFried

CountryFried Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2010
    SE AL
    Gah, I think all my planning was for naught, LOL.

I have a 4x4' brooder box for my babies, I was planning to keep them there for a week or so until I build a hover brooder to go in the big coop. I moved the box into a 15' by 10' room, because it's a bit warmer in there than the coop, (my coop is 3-sided), but my son just brought up a good point.

I don't have any windows in that room. It's not a sealed room, per-say, but the ventilation is minimal. (During the night, during the day I can open the doors, but the point of putting them in there was to be able to maintain the temps for the first couple weeks)

Is ventilation an issue NOW?

2. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    How many of them are there, how old are they, is the room inside a house, and are you just using the ambient temperature instead of a light?

I think you'd have to have an awful lot of chicks to have a ventilation problem in a room that big. I think that's bigger than my bedroom.

3. CountryFried

CountryFried Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2010
    SE AL
    Quote:38 chicks, hatched Monday, arrived today from Ideal. The room is NOT inside a house, it's in my shed, definitely not airtight, you can see light through cracks in the walls and doors. Will be using a light, as it's dropping into the 30s some nights. The room isn't insulated, one wall is plywood, one is tin, and the other 2 are tin over plywood.

4. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Oh heck, they'll be plenty ventilated for the time being. Keep them clean, that's the big thing, and you shouldn't have any problem. Keep tabs on the humidity if you can, and if the smell's too strong for you, assume it's not any good for them and change the bedding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by