AACK wondering if my cochin is a rooster?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovecat713, Jul 26, 2011.

1. lovecat713

lovecat713 New Egg

Jul 26, 2011
    Hi everyone,

Back in March I got a black cochin chick to keep my barred rock chick and Ameraucana hen company. "She" has grown like crazy and now dwarfs both "her" sisters.

This morning, around 8am, before I let them out of their Eglu, I heard a very distinct crowing noise coming from them. It didn't start till 8am, and it was pretty muted (I have a friend with a rooster, and he is loud and constant), but I am still worried. Below are some photos of her.

I live in a neighborhood and will have to rehome her if she's a roo. Can anyone tell me for sure?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

Sorry, but you have a roo. A very handsome one at that.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Yep- looks like a big, gorgeous cochin rooster to me. If you are anywhere near me, I would take him off ur hands. I got 17 cochins at the beginning of spring (4 straight run), and don't think I have a rooster. Figures- if u don't want a rooster, you end up with plenty. Hope for one, you don't get squat!

4. lovecat713

lovecat713 New Egg

Jul 26, 2011
    Blast I wish I were - I am in Seattle. Well I guess Josephine is now Joseph, and I have to find someone to take him ASAP - Pepper, his barred rock sister, will be devastated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by