AAGGGHHH!! Worst hatch ever....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I set 30 silkie eggs 23 days ago and ended up with 3 chicks by this morning. It is...by far...the worst hatch I've ever had. Some eggs were scrambled on arrival and what wasn't scrambled had loose aircells. I guess I'm lucky to have gotten three live chicks with aircells that were on the side of the egg instead of the top. All temps and humidities were perfect throughout so I know it wasn't that.

I honestly think it would be cheaper to either pay for shipping on live chicks or drive to pick up live birds/chicks. Between the price of the eggs and shipping I have about $120 in these three chicks [​IMG]

Well, I have the last 20 eggs in the other bator. Hopefully this hatch will be a bit larger because it's the last one!!

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I am so sorry to hear about your abysmal hatch! We can at least hope that the three babies you got will turn out to be of exceptional quality.

And best of luck on the eggs that you are incubating now. [​IMG]

3. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Your hatch isn't so bad. I've set about 23 pea eggs total over the summer.
    None hatched.
    Some were involved in a power outtage, some were infertile, some never developed and 3 didn't make it to hatch.
    Considering pea eggs average about $10 per egg (plus s/h) I'd say your hatching experience wasn't so bad.
    At least you got some live chicks.
    [​IMG]

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I didn't realize pea eggs were so difficult to hatch...and so expensive!! [​IMG]

Yep...the three that hatched were VERY nice. Blacks with huge vaulted skulls and 5 toes on each foot!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by