aahhh! Incubator fan tech. difficulties!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 77horses, Apr 17, 2009.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    OK so when I made our homemade styro-bator, my dad gave me a PC fan from our old computer. He somehow hooked it up to more wires so I could plug it into the wall. When I plugged it in, it worked fine. Last night, when I plugged it in to test the incubator, it stalled for a minute, then came on. Then, last night, it kept stalling. Then it finally started running again. But today, when I plug it in, it won't even start a little! [​IMG] I tried other plug-ins around the house, but it won't work! [​IMG] I haven't touched it very often at all. It's just been sitting there in the incubator. The only time I used it was to test the bator. [​IMG]

Any advice?
    Thanks!

2. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    [​IMG] I know that I'm not very patient, [​IMG] this is one of those times when I wish there was a "Thread Saver" out there for me! LOL I can't save my own thread. I can only go around looking for threads that have no replies and are posted by other people. [​IMG]

3. YeOleBroodie

YeOleBroodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Sounds like the fans is working but needs some lub. On the front of the fan you should see what looks like a sticker in the middle. Take that off. Under it should be something like a coin should either just drop off or you might have to pry it off.
    When you have it off get some 3 n1 oil and put (one only) the tinest drop on it. Leave it sit for awhile, make the fan revolve with your finger, but not while its plugged in. [​IMG]
    Then plug in.
    Might have to give it a bit of a start but should work after.

Hope that helps. Have had to do that with a few fans.
    Good luck

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  4. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:Sounds like the fans is working but needs some lub. On the front of the fan you should see what looks like a sticker in the middle. Take that off. Under it should be something like a coin should either just drop off or you might have to pry it off.
    When you have it off get some 3 n1 oil and put the tinest drop on it. Leave it sit for awhile, then start fan up. Might have to give it a bit of a start but should work after.

Hope that helps. Have had to do that with a few fans.
    Good luck

Thanks! Yes it does have a sticker on the front. But what is 3 n1 oil??? Not sure if we have any...? [​IMG]

5. YeOleBroodie

Jul 11, 2008
    Sorry for delay, server keeps bumping me off line.

Its a light household lubricant not expensive. Should be able to get it at a hardware store.

After you lub it, put the lid thingy back on the fan and tape to hold in place to keep dust out.

6. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    OK thanks! [​IMG]

7. michiganlarry

michiganlarry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    WD 40 would work too.

8. YeOleBroodie

Jul 11, 2008
    Do not use Wd its to heavy an oil.

9. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    uh oh...I think I made it worse... [​IMG] [​IMG] I went to look under the sticker and when I peeled it off a little, I saw a small black circle thing. I tried to pry it off but it's too small to get my finger under it, so it sunk down a bit.... [​IMG] I plugged it in but it didn't turn on...

Help! I'm terrible with wiring things and everything! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. YeOleBroodie

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:This is the little lid right under the sticker...right?

Can you get a sewing needle or anything with a very fine point to get under it? It doesn't need much pressure to take it off.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by