AAHHHHhhh!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

These 12 hatched between yesterday & today, momma Jenga has 1 egg left in her nest, smelled & looked good still. [​IMG]
    Momma May has a boxfull of eggs under her that are ALL HATCHING NOW!!! [​IMG]

I swear they get together and talk it over before they start brooding, just to ambush me like this!!

Jenga's Babies:
    5 Chocolate
    3 Black
    3 Lilac(super light version of Blue Fawn)
    1 Blue... didn't see that coming!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  2. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    [​IMG] adorable

3. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Awwwwweeee!!!! How adorable! I cant wait till mine hatch. I am so ready to have little muscovies walking everywhere. Currentley my hen is laying on 22 eggs. I hope they are all doing well, she wont get off so I can candle. [​IMG]

4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    It's probably a good thing you live very far away......

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:Me, too. I really want to do some Muscovies next. I was thinking about it when me ongoing hatch of mostly turkey eggs is out of my incubators, but I realized that it would be AUGUST when they hatched. Thats kind of pushing it here in Michigan, IMHO. So, I guess I will have those to look forward to in 2012.

Waiting 36 days for a batch of eggs to hatch must really be torture.

I LOVE the colors above, those are awesome.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Quote:It really is much easier when you have a bunch of other girls on eggs and babies runnign around and things like that stressing you out too [​IMG] Also much easier when momma is doing the incubating!

7. Denninmi

Jul 26, 2009
    I tried that twice, last year with a Rouen hen, and this year with a turkey. The Rouen was very haphazzard about sitting, she would come off the eggs for lengthy periods, several hours or more. It was in July and abnormally warm here, so I hoped she knew what she was doing and felt that her body heat wasn't needed or might even be too much. Unfortunately, all the came of it were rotten eggs.

I let one of my turkey hens start sitting on Easter on a batch of eggs, hers and the others. She was extremely faithful on the nest, I only saw her leave it for a minute or two once or twice a day to get some water and food. But, she apparently didn't know what to do, either, since most of the eggs were buried in the litter under the nest and not developed at all (these went into the incubator and all did hatch in the past week), and she was sitting directly on 5 or 6 that were rotten after 3 weeks on the nest.

I guess it was just inexperience. The duck I wouldn't try again, but I think the turkey had potential, probably just not enough practice. Some kind of a nest box with a solid bottom might have helped her, too.

8. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

One of my others was starting to go broody not long ago. She had pulled feathers and was sitting on her nest for long periods of time for the first 2 days but also leaving for hours at a time too. I finally got fed up and told her she wasn't allowed to be a part time momma, she either did it or didn't and so i locked her up in the pen and she has been sitting like a good girl since! She's sitting on a HUGE pile of hay, shavings and feathers.. so far she seems to be covering and warming them all evenly but it is her first clutch so we will see how it goes. [​IMG]

9. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Me, too. I really want to do some Muscovies next. I was thinking about it when me ongoing hatch of mostly turkey eggs is out of my incubators, but I realized that it would be AUGUST when they hatched. Thats kind of pushing it here in Michigan, IMHO. So, I guess I will have those to look forward to in 2012.

CottageRose is selling 5 Muscovy Ducklings [​IMG]
    And she's in Michigan.

10. Denninmi

Jul 26, 2009

CottageRose is selling 5 Muscovy Ducklings [​IMG]
    And she's in Michigan.

Enabler![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by