Aarrugghhh! Forgot to turn on the HEAT!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AlienChick, Mar 4, 2013.

1. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Aarrruughhhhh!!!

I had to leave for an event yesterday before sundown, so I wanted to make sure all the baby chicks (one week old) were tucked underneath their EcoGlow brooder and not running around. Temps were supposed to be in the low 20's and my chicks are outside in a garden shed. The light for the room is plugged into a power strip, so I flipped the power strip OFF so it would be kinda dark (there’s a small window in there). I then shoved the chicks underneath the EcoGlow brooder. I left the light off so they would stay under the brooder.

I had planned on returning to the garden shed later that night anyway cuz I have a broody hen who is stupid and only wants to hatch eggs and not raise the babies. So I was waiting for the latest baby to dry completely before removing it and bringing it into the house brooder.

Well, I got home late and was tired and went straight to bed. No biggie.

The sun was coming up this morning, and I was laying in bed enjoying the sunrise and the chirping of the birds and the peacefulness when all of a sudden I remembered that in the garden shed the EcoGlow brooder was also plugged into that same power strip that the light was plugged in to . . . so my chicks had NO heat at all last night. [​IMG]

I jumped out of bed and grabbed my coat and ran to the shed with my pajamas on. I immediately turned on the power strip and checked on the babies. I was mentally prepared for dead chicks.

They were all alive! Still huddled underneath the EcoGlow. I hung a heat lamp in there so they could warm up fast while waiting for the EcoGlow to heat up. Fortunately, there are 17 baby chicks in there (Silkies, barnyard mixes and Light Sussex) so there were enough of them to huddle together and keep each other warm all night long.

I felt so sorry for them to have to be cold, and I told them that it won't happen again. They totally ignored me as they began to wake up one-by-one from their slumber and venture out from underneath the brooder. They have no clue they could have died.

2. JacobMaxwell

JacobMaxwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Wow! You're soo lucky. How cold did it get?

3. Nigellas

Nigellas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Ann Arbor, MI
    You might still loose some - Keep a close eye on them - I lost 2 chicks 12-36 hours out from a power outage we had when I was gone.

4. AlienChick

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Temps only got down to 24.
    They were able to keep themselves warm enough by huddling together.

5. AlienChick

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Yep.
    So far, so good.
    I'm keeping my eye on them.
    Fortunately, they're raised outside in the garden shed, so they're stronger than my chicks raised in the warmth and comfort of my house.

6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    same kinda here- I have 7 2 week olds in a little cabinet in the coop 90' under the lights, and they can step away if they get too hot. out side the cabinet I have little quilts hung to block gaps and keep'm warm. Then I brought a hand quilt- chick size with heat pads so they would sleep on it and put it in coop. in the morning the quilt to block gap had sagged and I am sure cold air was getting in. but they all seemed fine. I think it only got down to 32' but they still had the lights. (p.s. to the worry warts, the lights are nailed down not going anywhere)[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by