Abandon Eggs

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Hokum Coco, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Crowing 5 Years

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I have a mated pair of pigeons this is the third round of eggs they laid and all rounds have been abandoned. Including the last round. What could be going wrong? Suggestions.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Cyprus, webbysmeme and biophiliac like this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Are they being interfered with by another cock or pair of birds ? Any possibility that the cock is driving the hen from the nest to start another cycle of mating, etc ? I know that you have already checked for mites, and am really clueless about this.

biophiliac likes this.
  3. Hokum Coco

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    That maybe the problem. I never noticed while in the loft. I will try staying out longer and being more vigilant. Thank you for the suggestion Laughing dog.This is a the first time at parenting for both the cock and the hen. I though they would have it down by the third time. Lets hope the 4 time is the charm.

biophiliac likes this.
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If their next round is a failure, try breaking the pair up and remating them with birds that have successfully raised young.

biophiliac, Hokum Coco and MROO like this.
  5. Hokum Coco

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    @sourland Well that makes perfect sense. I must be getting old on a good day I would have thought of that.

biophiliac and sourland like this.
  6. purslanegarden

purslanegarden Songster

Aug 10, 2016
    When do they abandon the eggs? I have noticed that around day 10, some eggs might be abandoned, because the parents determined the eggs are not viable.

biophiliac likes this.
  7. Hokum Coco

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I have never taken note to be honest. That seems to happens when you have 68 trips around the sun and 40+ birds. Thank you for drawing that to my attention I will write the date they are laid on the eggs with the next clutch. Thank you again for the tip.

8. biophiliac

biophiliac Traveler in BYCLand

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    And they are mostly solid whites! How you even tell one pair from another is a mystery to me!:lau

Hokum Coco likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: