1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

... abandondoned chick died

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by purplebaby, Aug 19, 2008.

1. purplebaby

purplebaby Songster

May 20, 2007
    east long island
    background:

my silkie mom hatched out 4 cochin babies, 3 died (unknown cause since i was away) last week. hatch date was july 30. tonight she abandoned the last chick outside. i put it into the coop and she wont go near it. it was so cold. i finally brought it in and put under the brooder light.... i guess i raise it now? help!!!!
    should i try to put it back in am??? does this mean something is wrong with it???

[​IMG]

edited for title change.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008

2. Heather J

Heather J Songster

May 29, 2008
    You could keep it warm in the brooder, but unless it is especially cold for this time of year (or you live in one of the northern areas where it is always cold this time of year) the chick is six or seven weeks old, so it should be feathered out, and therefore just fine in cooler weather. If the coop is insulated it'll probably be fine. If it's overly cold and you can add heat, I would put it back in the coop and use a heat lamp in one corner so he/she has access to a warmer area.

It really depends on your specific circumstances. How cold is it expected to get tonight?

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    yeah, what Heather J said. Back into the coop if it's not getting beat up by the other chickens.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

6/7 weeks old sounds about right for momma hen to "kick" the baby out. It should be familiar with the flock so it should be good to go with the rest and will be quick to learn who's feathers not to ruffle.

5. purplebaby

purplebaby Songster

May 20, 2007
    east long island
    unfortunately the little chick died last night. i have no idea what to do any more. it took so long for us to finally hatch some and now this. all 4 are gone, they were so cute. i am so depressed that i just cant seem to add to my flock.
    what am i doing wrong???

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Sorry for your loss. It may be nothing you have done.

Your hen sensed something was wrong and abandoned the chick. She left it to die because it was weak.

The chicken world is cold cruel place void of human emotions. Chickens don't nurture their young the way mammals do and most assuredly not the way humans do.

A weak addition to the flock could put the entire flock in danger. Nature has programed them to cull their own for the betterment of the flock.

Since all of your hatchlings have died I would start looking at my flock. The feed used to make good eggs for eating is not equal to the feeds used to make eggs for hatching healthy chicks. Select your breeding hens and rooster. Put them on gamebird feed and supplement them with some yogurt and fresh veggie and meat scraps and some corn. I know many old timer experienced breeders who believe in feeding the breeders warm mash daily. In 30 days, when you know they are in good healthy shape from their new diet - collect those eggs and set them in your own incubator or hopefully a broody hen.

If you have problems with eggs and chickins failing to thrive after that you will then know you have incompatible breeders and will need to take another tack and hatch from different birds.

7. purplebaby

purplebaby Songster

May 20, 2007
    east long island
    when i realized that my roo was not "doing his job", i purchased some good eggs. that is what led to the 4 hatching, by broody silkies. they just wanted to hatch something and they tried so hard. [​IMG]

i will try supplementing their feed and the food you suggested. thank you.

my questions now are:

is there something wrong with my flock?
    I have had them only a year and lost several (3 immediately and 2 more since. none to predators.

could there be something wrong with my coop or run area that is killing them?
    i have bleach scrubbed the coop after each one died trying to figure it out
    there are no poisonous plants in there.

i read the boards just about everyday and i have learned so much but i have to be doing something wrong.

i have 3 silkie hens and 1 silkie roo, all about 1 1/2 yr old
    1 ee hen, 1 white leghorn hen and 1 rumpless roo (?) all about 3 months old that were hatched at school.

8. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    These were shipped eggs?

9. purplebaby

purplebaby Songster

May 20, 2007
    east long island
    yes they were.

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    There are so many things that can go wrong with shipped eggs. I would be hard pressed to pinpoint a cause other than the hen knew something was wrong and abandoned the chicks or she just isn't a good mother and doesn't brood them well.

Sorry for your loss. Don't give up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by