Abandoned babies on my step and I'm ignorant!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WriterofWords, Dec 29, 2007.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Hi, I'm not sure where to post on this so I chose here. I just got home from Wal-Mart and someone left 8 tiny chicks in a box on my step. I've been talking about hatching and raising some but I wasn't exactly ready for this. They are all kind of different from each other, the only two that look really alike are two that have no feathers on their necks and chests and kind of bald little butts. There is one that looks like it has hairy legs,,, I don't know how to post pics on here yet!
    What temperature do they need to be at? I went to the feed store and picked up some starter, and a smaller water container.
    I'm at a loss as to what do for them really, my ducks started outside in the warm sun and the other chicks were hatched outside in June! Any suggestions on what I need to know for them for now?
    Kate

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They need to be at 95 degrees the first week with room to get away from the heat lamp, plus fresh water and starter and that's about it. Decrease the temp each week by 5 degrees by raising the lamp till it's about 70 degrees. By then they'll be fully feathered. Do they look freshly hatched?

3. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thank you Cynthia, again! I just took pics now how do I upload them onto here?
    Kate
    See if you can help me id them?

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    You can upload on photobucket then take the direct link and put it on here bly clicking the IMG button above

Also if you send the pics to my yahoo I can upload them on here for you. That will save you some time

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2007
  5. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
  6. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    its [email protected]
    Let me know when you sent them and I will glady upload them for ya! [​IMG]

7. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thanks I'm uploading them to you as I type. I have dial up,, takes a bit out here in the sticks,,, Do chickens lay down when they sleep? Two of these lay down a lot.
    Kate

8. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    my boys sleep laying down alot. I love it when there heads are under there wing cause they look headless lol

9. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    ok, these two lay flat on their sides,,, they look alike too so maybe it's inherent to them? My son named the little gold one with a nekkid neck and rear, Goldie Locks,,, go figure,,,

10. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    lol. Mine love to sleep like that. My moms barred rock roo who passed away last month love to sleep with one leg in the air

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by