Abandoned Babies !!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Littleturkey123, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Littleturkey123

Littleturkey123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Owen Sound, Canada
    Hi, i am not sure if this is the right place to put this but, here it goes anyway. [​IMG] I found 3 baby swallows on my barn floor and my cat almost ate them !!! i saved them and have them in a box lined with paper towel. they are cheeping and 2 out of 3 are drinking out of a syringe. what do they eat? and when i pick them up they cling to my finger. they also try to "eat" my fingers, is this a good thing? i found them tonight, but my sisters say that they found them yesterday. so they fed them bread and water secretly and they have seemed to have survived. [​IMG] P.S. they also are currently huddled up in a group, is that normal?

Thanks,
    L

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Is there a wild life rescue in your town you can take them to? Baby birds need to be fed every 20 minutes, which can be hard for folks with any kind of schedule. They need a high protein diet, some pet stores sell baby bird food that you can buy. Many people suggest wet cat food. Baby birds do not drink when they are very young, they get moisture out of their food so be careful when giving them water, it is easy to drown them. (Not sure how old your sparrows are, so they could be old enough for water). If possible I would definitely take them to a wild life or wild bird rescue. Good luck!

3. Littleturkey123

Jul 11, 2011
    Owen Sound, Canada
    there is no wildlife rescue around here but i know that they are shedding their baby feathers and they don't like boiled eggs, i tried to convince one of the chick's to eat it and they grabbed it for a second and then spit it out [​IMG] and even if there was a wildlife foundation, i want to raise them here and set them free at by barn [​IMG]

4. jnkir7

jnkir7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    i have raised quiet a few on soaked cat food when they get older feed some small crickets

5. Littleturkey123

Jul 11, 2011
    Owen Sound, Canada
    Quote:can they eat dead flys, i have spent the last 10 minutes killing some:) ?

6. lmz534

lmz534 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    Grab yourself some earthworms (or cheat and go buy some fishing bait) they would also love mealworms I bet. Just make sure to break it all into small pieces like mom would! Better yet, look around the rafters in your barn and see if you see the frantic mother. Maybe you could put them back in the nest. I rescued a baby robin earlier this summer. I couldn't find his nest, but his mother was frantic to feed him. I got an amazon.com cardboard box and shoved it up in a tree and threw him in. His mom swooped in 5 minutes later and fed him there. 2 weeks later he feathered out and took off with her! Momma knows best, so see if you can get them up into a nest, even if it's just an abandoned oe cardboard one. Good luck!

7. Littleturkey123

Jul 11, 2011
    Owen Sound, Canada
    i heard that worms are bad for them if the mother hasn't digested it first. [​IMG] should i keep them in a box,or should i make something new for them to live in? [​IMG]
    the babys have been away from their parents for days since my sisters wrecked the nest and have had them in a cage in the barn with bread and water since yesterday. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  8. jnkir7

jnkir7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    yes they can eat about any insect would be good. finding mom would be better she may have been feeding them on the ground if they are doing that good

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  9. Littleturkey123

Jul 11, 2011
    Owen Sound, Canada
    i edited my post before, it shows that i cant do much other that take care of them myself [​IMG]

10. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I heard you can feed them cooked hamberger. but that might be crows only [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by