abandoned baby parakeet..help

lizzy79735

Hatching
Jul 6, 2015
I have 3 baby parakeets about 3 weeks old..the parents flew out of their cage in the back yard and have not returned. I don't want my babies to die..but have no idea how to care for them.
1f622.png

Hi,

I have been breeding budgie as a hobby for 2 years now and have had to raise several babies at once. It is hard and can have complications. It was particularly difficult as I have to go to school therefore they had no food during the day so I had to fill them up before I left and feed em again when I got home. Don't give up on the parents, they still yet may come back. But in the meantime, those babies need you!
You do need to purchase budgie hand rearing formula from your local pet store or produce place. I always have some on me before I breed just in case something goes wrong.
Most hand rearing formula packets have instructions on how much you feed the babies each day, how much water to add. Ect. But I will let you know what I do,
As your babies are 3 weeks old they are close to fledging so they are on a more 'thicker mixture'.
The formula has to be warm but not too hot. If it goes cold or the babies go cold then the food sets in their crop (where food goes, on chest) and it does not digest therefore a very ill baby. Like all babies they are always hungry. You don't need a schedule on when to feed them you simply feed them till their crops are full and then wait till it is empty and repeat. I didn't have a syringe to use for my babies, I just used a spoon. Your lucky really, to have these babies at 3 weeks and not 1 week and they don't need as much warmth or care as a younger budgie. As for the formula, it should come in a powder form, but there are some that are already mixed and ready to go.. I have the powdered one, that you mix warm water with. I usually gage on how much I should put in as I add some water and mix and see if the thickness is about right.. You will know if they do not like it or it is too hot. But they will have to get used to the formula as it would taste and feel completely unnatural for these three bubs. If you have any other questions. Ask away, I have reared and successfully raised 11 babies throughout my breeding experience. Some I have hand reared just because I wanted them super tame! Which they will become as you are their mum now.
Hope I have helped.
Good Luck. Hopefully the parents return and all is back to normal!

Thank you everyone for you help. I left the cage door open because the parents were still hanging around the trees. It took two days but the parents are back.
1f60a.png
Both me and baby parakeets were so happy and relieved to see them.

Hello. My parakeet laid about 7 eggs over three weeks. The first one didn't make it and neither did the second. There's still 5 left and I think they should be hatching soon. I don't think the mothers knows what to do with them. Tips for the future babies?? How can I help them????

Hello. My parakeet laid about 7 eggs over three weeks. The first one didn't make it and neither did the second. There's still 5 left and I think they should be hatching soon. I don't think the mothers knows what to do with them. Tips for the future babies?? How can I help them????

Im sorry to say you can not help them.

The chick needs bacteria and other stuff from the parent bird for a healthy crop. Also the chick has to be kept warm and a whole bunch of other care that you will be unable to supply. If this is her first clutch she may loss some but that's the way shes going to learn.

The best thing you can do is to help the parent bird by giving her a teaspoon of scrambled eggs every day.

I'd be happy to help you out. I can talk you through taking care of them if that's what they need. I have raised lots. I no longer have parakeets, but raise parrotlets now which are about the same size. Sometimes I end up needing to incubate their eggs and feed them from day 1. Sometimes I give supplemental feedings to the babies while the mother is also taking care of them. Sometimes I take older babies out as younger babies hatch so the younger ones have a better chance.

What's going on with this birds clutch now?

Back
Top Bottom