Abandoned boer triplets

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by joplinfunnyfarm, Oct 22, 2016.

1. joplinfunnyfarm

joplinfunnyfarm New Egg

Oct 21, 2016
    Hi there, we had our first goat birth at our house almost 2 days ago. I came home to find 1 little one trying to catch mom (unsuccessfully) and 2 laying on their sides. I thought they were dead but thank goodness they were not. I suppose they had just been born and left. Now, the mother goat was bought at an auction and when we got a good look at her she is a very old goat which we agreed we couldn't breed due to her condition. She must have already been bred. She has absolutely no bag to her, trying to milk her did not work and all she did when penned/held with babies is step on them.
    Back to the babies. Got store-bought colostrum down them every 4 hours for 24 hrs. Now they're on kid replacer and we mix a little more water than packaging says + some baking soda to avoid bloat. We keep them in the barn under the heat lamp but bring them out for a bit when it's sunny. 2 staND and walk around (very wobbly)but the runt has never really opened her eyes fully and only stands a couple times a day. I gave her nutri drench as directed by my vet. She will scream like the others and when she does take a bottle she seems lost and all over the place with her mouth. I have started holding her to help her stay on the nipple. HELP!!?!?!?!?!?!!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You could try a bit of sugar or corn syrup to see if it's a blood sugar issue. It would perk up pretty quickly if it was and slowly improve, otherwise I would keep up what you are doing.

I always mix the replacer exactly as it's on the package. Any increases should be done slowly. It's important to mix it correctly and at the right temperature to avoid troubles. I've never had one bloat on it. I would save the baking soda until you need it and not feed it daily, but you can certainly offer some occasionally to see if they are interested.

I have successfully raised many goat kids on replacer. It's better to under feed than over feed. It's also important to buy a good quality one that smells good to you. Hopefully the little one will catch up after a few days. It might of been cramped in the uterus and perhaps the doe wasn't fed correctly before you got her.

I would permanently remove the kids from mom. Expect to feed them for 2-3 months before weaning.

3. joplinfunnyfarm

joplinfunnyfarm New Egg

Oct 21, 2016
    Thank you, i appreciate all the input i will follow accordingly! She is now 72 hrs old, i feed her 3 oz 4 to 5 times a day and ahe is always willing to eat/suck. Her body temperature seems normal but she never opens her eyes? They seem wet, we wipe down with warm water or vetericyn but they arent atuck together regardless and she still never opens them? Also, possibly a wet cough ??? Will stand and just move her head around like a blind bat?
    Yes we gave up on mom very quickly she shouldnt had had babies at her age, she ia getting grain and special treatment.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It wouldn't hurt to have a vet have a look at it if you have access to one. It's possible she's blind. A wet cough will usually mean pneumonia, especially if you are seeing some snot in the nose, though there can be slight coughing after drinking a bottle, give a listen to her chest to see if you hear a rattle when she breathes. It can happen when they get milk down the wrong pipe. A few days of a daily penicillin shot will usually take care of it if it is. Sounds like a sweet little kid, hopefully she keeps doing well. How are the other two doing?

5. joplinfunnyfarm

joplinfunnyfarm New Egg

Oct 21, 2016
    We have been cleaning her eyes several times a day with a couple different solutions from tractor supply. She and her sisters get to bask outside when the sun is up since its been so nice. The other two run and play and explore but she seems to be depressed about her eyes. She will stand and listen, will follow me or a sister if we are close enough. Giving 1/2 a cc penicillin sq 2 x daily as of yesterday and today she had her eyes open 3/4!!! High hopes, im a dreamer i know... gave soapy enema yesterday since she has not had a bm. She has always eaten very well.

6. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    In a dark room, shine a flashlight in her eyes. You will be able to see the structures in her eye. Do the same thing with one of the other kids so you can compare. Years ago I had a kid that was blind. I couldn't see any abnormalities in daylight, but when I looked with the flashlight it was clear. Another possibility is that the kid's eyelid is turned inward and the lashes are rubbing on the eyeball. This can cause the symptoms you mention, particularly the discharge. I have had a couple kids over the years with this problem. What I did was rotate the eyelid outward and put a little superglue to hold it in position. By the time the superglue wore off the kid was cured. The lid did not roll inward again. If this is the problem and you need clearer instructions, pm me. The vet can fix it but sometimes they want to do expensive surgery. The superglue works just as well in most cases. I learned this trick from a dog breeder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by