1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Abandoned Bunny - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Biddieacres, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    I just found a bunny out in a cage with no water, no food and it is blizzard conditions out. I don't know anything about bunnies so can anyone help. What should I feed it? What should I do? I gave it water but afraid the water will freeze solid.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    oh man thats terrible.
    since you probably dont have rabbit food lol. give it carrots or lettuce or papaya or something like that. but get it regular food asap. good luck!

3. mom2fantastic4

mom2fantastic4 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    KS
    We raise show rabbits. Main thing is the water, drinking will help it stay warm. Rabbits have similar digestive tracts to horses. If you have hay feed hay, any roughage to get the gut going. Straw and oats will do it too. Although straw has no nutritional value. When the gut is moving it generates body heat. A rabbit feed is ideal. No veggies (they have too much water and causes upset tummies). Ideal temps are 30-70 degrees. Pm if you need too. [​IMG]

4. Biddieacres

Mar 31, 2008
    I just gave it water and it drank real fast. How should I keep the water bottle from freezing since this rabbit is outside?

5. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Rabbit rescuer here:
    Please do not leave the bunny outside bring him in the basement or warm porch whatever. Leaving him out in a blizzard with frozen water will most prob. kill him.
    Dry the cage up and put hay bedding in and water. To hold the bunny for inspection use a large towel to wrap him in. If he's shaking and really cold just hold him in the towel until he's quiet.
    He won't eat if he's in shock so just keep him warm and in a darkish place with water.
    He can exist on hay and oats (quaker) and a piece of apple to get him started eating.
    I would feed him with a syringe just to keep his system working. you can use baby veggies if thats handy or cook some up and mash them fine and watered down oatmeal for now.
    I hope that he makes it...good luck.

6. Biddieacres

Mar 31, 2008
    I am trying to find a temporary cage to keep him in for the night but the only thing I have is cardboard box. Is this OK or will he chew threw it?

7. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    If he chews on it, that's ok, bunnies like cardboard. Good Luck

8. The only way to know the answer to that is to try and put him in the box and see if he chews it...

Some rabbits love to shred boxes, my lop couldn't care less and would be happy to hang out in a box...

9. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

He could chew through it, but probably not likely. I found a french lop on the side of the road years ago. After spending about 25 minutes chasing it around I finally caught it...the dh and I brought it in and after several days it was litter boxed trained. It terrorized my dogs (shih tzus at that time) and ruled the roost...you just have to make sure there are NO electrical wire available for him/her to eat!!!

10. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Quote:What's wrong with the cage that he was in? Maybe just a little clean up will make it okay? You can put him in the box while you do that. If you have a cat litter box you can fill it with hay and put it in the cage. He'll use that as a litter box while he eats the hay. What kind of rabbit is it and how big?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by