Abandoned Chick... What age and breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jjfester, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Jjfester

Jjfester Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2015
    DuPont, Washington
    I got a message from someone 2 days ago saying that a friends son had found a baby chick abandoned in the high school parking lot.

I of course agreed to adopt her and bought her a Cream Legbar nest mate that seemed close to the same age, but it is hard to find a single chick around here without being forced to buy 9. (we already have 4 in a small town)

My question is, could anyone take a close guess about her age? The person who gave her to me had guessed 2 weeks. The one week old Legbar is much smaller than her, but has more wing feathers, by quite a bit so I haven't been able to decide on age.

Hoping some more knowledgeable chicken people may have an idea, (also really hoping she is a she).

Also any thoughts on a possible breed? She is yellow like the typical Easter chick you always see, but she has very light gray patches around both eyes up to her head.

I took the best picture I could manage, but she is a hyper one and moves around a lot.

She is so sweet, but she peeps non stop and sounds like a Cricket, so that is what we have named her.

Thanks in advance. We are currently using her cues for adjusting heat since we have no idea of age for certain.

Adding a funny story to this for your enjoyment. Even though my hens have not been particularly broody I tried to sneak the 2 chicks in the nest box when my sweetest hen was in there to see what would happen.....she gave the funniest squawk to tell me just how distasteful she thought I was lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I'd guess its only somewhere around a week old based on development. Not sure on breed, splash Orpington maybe? They're slow to mature and fairly large...

3. shanadienne

shanadienne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2013
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'd say it's between 4 and 7 days old. (Only being so precise because I have two chicks, seven days old today, with only a little more feathering than yours.)

If we could see a clear picture of the comb, it would help identify the chick's breed. (That said, I completely understand if you simply can't take one. Hyperactive chicks...)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by