ABANDONED CHICKENS

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChristieinNJ, Nov 12, 2016.

1. ChristieinNJ

ChristieinNJ New Egg

Nov 12, 2016
    Hi, I hope someone can help me, a couple of months ago, a couple of roosters and about 6 hens started hanging around my property. I live in a city type area and this is NOT normal. The weather here is turning cold and I am concerned for these poor chickens. They are now living in a tree that is backed up to a small wooded area behind my house. They have no shelter and once it turns cold, will have no water source, besides the heated bird bath I have out. Not sure if they would even use that. I hope someone has some ideas of a cheap and easy way to make them a shelter, or someone I can call to take them? Someone must have abandoned them near my house somewhere and they made their way here because I put seed out for the birds on a regular basis. It is terrible how people just dump unwanted animals, i am an animal lover and this is making me sick with worry. Please help!!

2. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you allowed to have chickens where you live? What are your local chicken laws? Chicken LORE Project - Find & Submit Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances Do you have a garage or basement? If they are friendly i would take them to your basement, lay a few towels down, keep an eye on them,feed them some fruits and veggies. Do they look young? If they don't want to come to your house lay out some fruit and vegetables for them, and some water.

3. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    have you called your local animal shelter. They may be able to help you find them good homes.

4. ChristieinNJ

ChristieinNJ New Egg

Nov 12, 2016
    Not sure about the laws or how I would even find out. I do have a basement though, with nothing in it that I wouldn't mind keeping open for them. It is closed off to the inside of the house with bilco doors and a few steps leading down. Yes, that was another question I had, is what do they eat? Just fruits and veggies? I mean would I have to abide by chicken laws when they just wander onto my property? I did not buy them. And if I feed the other wild animals and they eat it, well, that is not my fault. I will continue to feed the other birds either way.

1 person likes this.
  5. ChristieinNJ

ChristieinNJ New Egg

Nov 12, 2016
    I have not called but I posted on their page with no reply, they would probably tell me to bring them if anything and I am semi disabled and don't see myself chasing chickens that's for sure. Someone would have to trap them or catch them, they are starting to walk up to me, but I really don't try to touch them or anything.

6. ChristieinNJ

ChristieinNJ New Egg

Nov 12, 2016
    Not really sure on the age, they look full grown, they are very pretty.

7. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    I would call them personally they may be able to give you a number to a local farm and they may come out to get them. Chickens cannot survive on fruits and vegetables. They need protein and grains and the hens need calcium. I buy flock raiser and give a supplemented bowl of oyster shell for calcium. It can get very expensive to raise chickens. If you do want to keep them then you would have to abide by any local laws. You could lure them into your basement but do realize it will quickly start smelling if not cleaned frequently. Chickens poop a lot. If you do want to do this i would put down shavings for the floor. I'm not trying to scare you or discourage you in any way. I'm glad there are people like you in this world who genuinely care about animals and their well being. I just want you to be prepared if you do decide to keep them. Good luck

1 person likes this.
  8. Fluffers

ok,keep us posted

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  9. Fluffers

Yes, i agree with @tinakevin

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Tinakevin has given your great information and advice. If push comes to shove, you may have to advertise them on craig's list. People are always looking for a ready made flock.

You are a very kind person but, circumstances may not allow you to keep them. Neighbors are always quick to turn people in to animal control.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by