Abandoned Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by letspetcats, Aug 15, 2013.

1. letspetcats

letspetcats New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    So...we live on a farm in Oregon and our baby chicks are usually raised by their mother (without the use of a brooder or anything fancy) but yesterday we noticed that one chick was stuck upside down and screaming for her mother but the mother walked over to her and left her. After trying a few times to get the mother's attention back on the baby chick it was clear the mother had no interest in her. So we picked up the baby chick and managed to steal another chick from the mother (which she was NOT happy about...but I know chicks are social animals) and set them up in a large plastic bin filled with straw. We also put a low level heating pad under one end and a light above them.

They seem to be doing okay for now but I didn't know how to tell if they are doing okay or if they aren't...I'm worried about them drinking water and eating (I saw them peck a few times at their food but I don't know how to tell if they are eating enough. Also we haven't gotten them chick food yet but we will today). We currently have the water in the lid of a jar so it's not too deep that they will drown but I also don't know if it is too shallow (I tried dunking their little heads but I haven't seen them drink on their own).

Basically any advise would be very helpful. I'm not sure how old they are but we just noticed the mother walking with her babies the day before yesterday...

Anyways. Sorry for writing a bunch.
    Thanks.

-Whit

UPDATE: Here is a photo of them. Any guesses on their age? (not the best photos but I wanted to do it quickly)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    The broody gene turns off like a switch. I think I would try putting the chicks back with the mother at night and see if you can reintegrate them if you want the Broody to raise them or take the group if you want them to be in their own group together. Could be that their is something wrong with that chick. When my Broodies stopped raising the chicks they literally flipped a switch and treated the chicks as if they had never seen them before. The chicks tried to go up to her and she just really had no clue who they were. I think being broody is like having a multi personality complex. They can be great moms and voila it is over!

Wierd!

Hope that helps
    Caroline

3. letspetcats

letspetcats New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    I thought there was something wrong with the little yellow chick too because she was walking strange and also wasn't running to try to catch up to the mum or the other chicks.

Hopefully we will be able to get them back with the mum chicken because she is a really good mum (she raised 15 babies not too long ago...she tends to steal other chickens eggs and raise them as her own) but she is also very...hostile and won't let anyone hardly get close to her babies without puffing up and running to attack the intruder (we bring a rake anytime we go near her when she has babies).

Thank you so much for the advise I really appreciate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by