Abandoned clutch, one survivor so far.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by scaredmommahen, Oct 17, 2011.

1. scaredmommahen

scaredmommahen New Egg

Oct 17, 2011
    Yesterday my fist time mother abandoned her nest after two hatched. I moved her as well as eggs and two (2day) olds to a safe
    enviroment. She intially sat on eggs and her brood but hours later pushed eggs out along with new hatchling that perished. Upon finding this I gathered eggs and put them under a light due to the cold weather and much to my surprise I have a new hatchling. She seems to be getting stronger and has left the shell entirely. My concerns are do I place this chick back with mother, which is not the one who sat on her or do I keep her seperate until I introduce them all back into the hen house in 6 weeks or so? Do I seperate the other two and keep the babies all togather? Please any advised would be greatly appreciated.

2. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    I'd just raise all 3 babies together and introduce them when they're big enough...

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Depends on how much of a gambler you are. Sometimes they get scared and panic and run. Sometimes they hatch and kill them.
    You can put the baby back under her and see what happens. She may take the baby,or you can brood the baby yourself. May live, may die. Good luck!

4. scaredmommahen

scaredmommahen New Egg

Oct 17, 2011
    Thank you for your advise. My question being is.. how traumatic will it be to the hen if I decided to brood all three. This chick fought
    so hard to survive and is so stinking cute I would be crushed if I turned over to the momma and it didn"t go well. The survivor is defintely not her offspring would this matter in the introduction to the hen?

5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    If she abandoned it, I don't think you'll be hurting her feelings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by