Abandoned Cross beak chick - Help!?!?! no experience!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Inkheart, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I was at a farm auction and as we were leaving someone literally drove by opened up the door and threw well she looks like an easter egger young pullet on the ground. I ran to pick it up and she fell right into my arms - just beautiful and sweet - but as i look at her face she has sever cross beak. Top bent over. I think she is fairly young - she still has a young "chirp" however is feathered all out - mind you stunning colors. I put in her quarantine in a rabbit cage and put a bowl of food in - in a rabbit crock and she went nuts. I watched for ever trying to se if she was getting food down. Am i fooling myself here o r is she going to starve to death, My guess is these people bought as i saw several cages of for sale bantam EE's and they were probably jsut ditching her. Do i need to put her down? Can she live a normal life ? What to do?!?!?! Please help!

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    It seems like if she is all feathered out, she must have been getting some nutrition. There are others on here with cross beaked birds. Hopefully someone who has been successful will chime in.

3. Inkheart

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    well that is what i was thinking but the way she dove at the scratch i gave her made me wonder . Thank you -yes i hope someone with alot of experience chimes in !!!

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Just keep feeding her with a deep bowl so she can get her whole face in it. I had a sever cross beak silkie that lived for several years because we couldn't stand the idea of putting her down, we just never breed her before of the deformity. With a deep waterer and a deep feeder she did great.

Don't give up hope, just try... its all we could ever do and if it was meant to be she'll thrive for you!

5. Inkheart

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Quote:Thank you - she stole my heart in about 30 seconds - she is cute as a button and frankly her beak makes her cuter. Very sad - so this is more than likely genetic?

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:Thank you - she stole my heart in about 30 seconds - she is cute as a button and frankly her beak makes her cuter. Very sad - so this is more than likely genetic?

Yes, crossbeak is generally genetic and most likely nothing physical happened to cause this.

7. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I have a bantam cochinX with a very severe crossed beak. Just make sure that you feed out of a deep dish (I have been known to let Crooks eat right out of the feed bags while I feed the other animals [​IMG] ) I also give him scrambled eggs once in awhile.

You will also have to trim her beak if she is anything like mine, his top beak grows down, off to the side and curls back to his head and the bottom appears to be pretty normal. I just use a pair of nail clippers and clip off the extra once a month or so or when ever I see its becoming an issue. He has actually gotten really good about it, hardly struggles.

He is also my favorite bird, very friendly from all the extra attention as a chick and durring feeding time. I am glad everyday that I didnt cull him. Just a few weeks ago I ran out of feed and had to make a run to the feed store that morning. Im doing a few things in the house and hear some unusual sounds in the kitchen. I walk out and he is chillin out on my kitchen table trying to get into a bread bag [​IMG] [​IMG] He climbed right through my window, luckily the dogs didnt notice.

8. Inkheart

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Quote:That is great! had heard of cross beak and knew what it looked like but no thoughts on it or how to deal. She acted like she was starved as i had put the food for her in a ceramic crock - she went nuts! So i guess i did well with out knowing you

9. Inkheart

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Any more thoughts on this? Desperate for all the advice i can get! Thank you!

10. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    I had a cross-beaked Banty when I was a kid - that was my best chicken! Maybe because I felt extra sorry for it, and loved to hand-feed it. It lived a long time, was healthy, and vibrant. Dont' put her down just because of a crossed beak! When she's out of quarantine, just put her in with the flock - she'll do fine. In fact, she may turn up to be your best chicken! and WOO HOO - you got a free chicken!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by