Abandoned duck eggs possibly severely dehydrated

Jun 3, 2021
Serpa, Portugal
We had a terrible heat wave and had temperatures between 35 - 40 C before it soured to 45C for two days straight. The night time temperatures didn't go down beyond 25C. My Muscovy Ducks refused to take leave of their eggs and as you can imagine they boiled. I increased the airflow by opening all the doors but when I say it was 45C, I mean that was the temperature in the shade with a slight breeze blowing so this didn't help much at all. The eggs were already on day 35 and 25 respectively.

I managed to save 2 of the 6 eggs from duck #1 (35 days brooding) and they hatched with shrink wrapped chicks. The other 4 eggs didn't hatch and they were most definitely dead. It took hours and days to get the two out of the leathery membrane working around the little veins. Regardless they are out and I'm much much older. They seem to be doing fine albeit a bit wobbly and very week. They also haven't absorbed their egg yolks when they hatched which always points to high temps for me although that's just what I've experienced in the past, I could be wrong.

Of the 11 eggs from Duck #2 (estimated 25 days old) 6 survived are also dehydrated and I can already see the air cell is half the size of the egg and the air cell is a funny shape. Similar to when you think they have internally pipped but its actually just the silhouette or the poor baby wrapped in the membrane. They still have 5 - 10 days to go :(

I've had difficult hatches in my life and am by no means a novice but I've never had eggs arrive at my doorstep in this condition. They are in the incubator now at a high humidity (don't know if this is the right thing to do) and they are very active still, kicking and rolling around. They seem to be in hatch position already (which makes me believe they are closer to 5 days than 10 but this doesn't add up to what I put in my calendar). I suspect this is because of the high temperatures and the dehydration levels. I've had early hatches due to temp and humidity a few times before but I'm a bit at a loss.

Do I let nature take its course and see what happens? My thought process is that;

1) If I leave them in the incubator for the next 5 - 10 days, hopefully the little bills will break through the membrane, and externally pip at which point I will help as I think they will be very very weak.

2) or do I wait 5 - 10 days and start opening one to see the status of it and intervene as I have been doing with the other two from duck # 1.

I've read some great articles about assisted hatching on BYC and that's how I managed to save quite a few chicks (ducks and chickens) in the past but I've always known the eggs' age and they weren't as dehydrated as this when they arrived...

Wow, that is quite hot! 45C = 113F

Even at those temps, ducks can usually keep their bodies regulated, as long as they have proper nutrients and water.
The higher temps will speed up the process, but sometimes the increased speed will cause weird growth issues. So just be aware that IF they survive, they could have some developmental issues.

I agree with incubating them at higher humidity, since the air cells are already so large. I think you will have to watch for any to break into the air cell, and then you can proceed with assisting. The good news is that they have plenty of air to breathe, even if they can't reach the shell to pip. The worst thing to do would be to rush them. I wouldn't start any assisting unless they break the inner membrane. And if they internally pip, I'd give them a good 18-24 hours before opening the shell. Some may never make it that far. But opening the inner membrane on your own is much more likely a death sentence.

You could also try some random pieces of tape on the eggs to slow the growth of the air cell. (Look up Emu hatching, and how they tape eggs to aid in slowing it down). You can't totally block all the pores as the shell still needs to breathe, but blocking some pores may help. Just a thought.

Good luck!!! Some pics of the momma ducks and the new babies would be great if you get a chance.

Even at those temps, ducks can usually keep their bodies regulated, as long as they have proper nutrients and water.
The higher temps will speed up the process, but sometimes the increased speed will cause weird growth issues. So just be aware that IF they survive, they could have some developmental issues.

I agree with incubating them at higher humidity, since the air cells are already so large. I think you will have to watch for any to break into the air cell, and then you can proceed with assisting. The good news is that they have plenty of air to breathe, even if they can't reach the shell to pip. The worst thing to do would be to rush them. I wouldn't start any assisting unless they break the inner membrane. And if they internally pip, I'd give them a good 18-24 hours before opening the shell. Some may never make it that far. But opening the inner membrane on your own is much more likely a death sentence.

You could also try some random pieces of tape on the eggs to slow the growth of the air cell. (Look up Emu hatching, and how they tape eggs to aid in slowing it down). You can't totally block all the pores as the shell still needs to breathe, but blocking some pores may help. Just a thought.

Good luck!!! Some pics of the momma ducks and the new babies would be great if you get a chance.
:goodpost:

Thank you so much. I will do exactly that. Will keep you posted

We had a terrible heat wave and had temperatures between 35 - 40 C before it soured to 45C for two days straight. The night time temperatures didn't go down beyond 25C. My Muscovy Ducks refused to take leave of their eggs and as you can imagine they boiled. I increased the airflow by opening all the doors but when I say it was 45C, I mean that was the temperature in the shade with a slight breeze blowing so this didn't help much at all. The eggs were already on day 35 and 25 respectively.

I managed to save 2 of the 6 eggs from duck #1 (35 days brooding) and they hatched with shrink wrapped chicks. The other 4 eggs didn't hatch and they were most definitely dead. It took hours and days to get the two out of the leathery membrane working around the little veins. Regardless they are out and I'm much much older. They seem to be doing fine albeit a bit wobbly and very week. They also haven't absorbed their egg yolks when they hatched which always points to high temps for me although that's just what I've experienced in the past, I could be wrong.

Of the 11 eggs from Duck #2 (estimated 25 days old) 6 survived are also dehydrated and I can already see the air cell is half the size of the egg and the air cell is a funny shape. Similar to when you think they have internally pipped but its actually just the silhouette or the poor baby wrapped in the membrane. They still have 5 - 10 days to go :(

I've had difficult hatches in my life and am by no means a novice but I've never had eggs arrive at my doorstep in this condition. They are in the incubator now at a high humidity (don't know if this is the right thing to do) and they are very active still, kicking and rolling around. They seem to be in hatch position already (which makes me believe they are closer to 5 days than 10 but this doesn't add up to what I put in my calendar). I suspect this is because of the high temperatures and the dehydration levels. I've had early hatches due to temp and humidity a few times before but I'm a bit at a loss.

Do I let nature take its course and see what happens? My thought process is that;

1) If I leave them in the incubator for the next 5 - 10 days, hopefully the little bills will break through the membrane, and externally pip at which point I will help as I think they will be very very weak.

2) or do I wait 5 - 10 days and start opening one to see the status of it and intervene as I have been doing with the other two from duck # 1.

I've read some great articles about assisted hatching on BYC and that's how I managed to save quite a few chicks (ducks and chickens) in the past but I've always known the eggs' age and they weren't as dehydrated as this when they arrived...

thanks for the awesome information.

Thank you so much. I will do exactly that. Will keep you posted

I'm happy to say that the 2 chicks from Duck # 1 was strong enough to graduate to the brooder today. They are doing great, is on dry food and finally seem to be able to regulate their body temperature. The body temperature really weirded me out. Their feet was always icy cold and they would shiver even @ 34C ambient temperature. this morning they seemed much stronger and I thought it was time. I sent them to middle school with full crops and a kiss. I will attach some pics soon.

CD543A8C-A181-4C80-BA1A-9B808053275A.jpeg

This was the first little one who bounced back very quickly

Back
Top Bottom