Abandoned egg hatched in my hand someone help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Justyn890, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Justyn890

Justyn890 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2013
    I didn't see this forum so I posted under chick care. Can someone please check my post and respond. I have a baby chick and no clue what to do. I was counting on mom hatching them not me. Sorry I posted twice, but I'm concerned for the chick.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Keep it warm.

3. Justyn890

Aug 30, 2013
    Can I put it back with mom and her other chick?

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Yes, but only if the hen hasn't left the nest yet.

5. Justyn890

Aug 30, 2013
    She took her chick and has been exploring a side portion of my yard with it. I haven't seen them nesting together yet. I was taking the egg out thinking it was bad since she refused to sit on it anymore no matter how much I tried to coax her to the nest. I didn't plan on it hatching within an hour of me picking it up. Should I see where she nests tonight and try to sneak it in? It's barely wobbling around and the other is really active.

6. Justyn890

Aug 30, 2013
    I should maybe add that typically my chickens refuse to coop or sit in a box. They prefer to roost on the privacy fence and a gate.... She won't do this and leave the chick will she? It's hot today but I haven't seen her and the chick cuddled up anywhere yet. She made her nest without my knowledge in a corner of the fence by a box that I had bedding in. She kicked all the bedding out (as always). She even removes it from near her eggs and nests. She prefers the ground to a nest, I'm not sure why.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Try putting it under her tonight, then check on it first thing in the morning.

-Kathy

8. Justyn890

Aug 30, 2013
    Thanks. I will try to tonight and keep you posted.

9. Justyn890

Aug 30, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Hen and babies are doing great. Thanks so much for your advise. She took the baby back, but I was not able to just sneak it in. The rooster is posting guard and sounds the alarm. I swear he rarely leaves guard duty. Mom and Chicks look happy and active. I am having a hard time keeping mom out of the chick food is that a problem?

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    She's teaching them to eat, it perfectly normal and good for her!

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by