Abandoned egg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Gtmommy, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Gtmommy

Gtmommy Just Hatched

Jan 17, 2017
    I had a duck abandon her egg at my front door. Right now we have a make shift incubator which includes a 10 gallon aquarium and a heater lamp. We've had the egg about a week now. It's rotated every 4 hours. Today I candled it the best I could however I've never raised a duck and all the pictures I've found say the egg is infertile but the yolk is getting bigger. Here's a picture any help?[​IMG]

2. birdmanmax

birdmanmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    I appears to be infertile there is no development that I can see at all no veins nor air space.

3. Gtmommy

Gtmommy Just Hatched

Jan 17, 2017
    That's what I thought. However my husband said it's gotten bigger so he feels something is growing. Could I be candling it wrong or need a different light

4. birdmanmax

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    No looks like everything your doing is great it just doesn't seem to be fertile. On day seven a formation of an air cell should start to become visabke and there should be a small little embryo going with little dark lines (blood veins) feeding it.

If you really think it's alive some better pictures would help maybe a few different angles. But here is a diagram of what it should look like if fertile at this age.

http://www.nantahala-farm.com/images12/Duck-egg-28days-day-by-day-incubating-400.jpg

5. Gtmommy

Gtmommy Just Hatched

Jan 17, 2017
    [​IMG]

Heres another picture.I have to get a better candling light but found what appear to be veins. Guess we will be riding it out to see

6. birdmanmax

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    Yes now it looks like the egg has veins and a small little embryo. I agree ride it out and see what happens.

7. Gtmommy

Gtmommy Just Hatched

Jan 17, 2017
    @birdmanmax we are at day 22 and it looks like we have a viable little guy. Can you tell me on what day do I stop rotating? And does the humidity need to be up to 94 and temp down at 98.5 on said date

8. birdmanmax

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    I would lockdown meaning don't rotate on day 25 raising the humity to 65% and then raising it again to 75% or 80% when they began to pip.

9. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    @Gtmommy , Hope your little guy hatches!! It's so good that you're doing this!
    How do you know it's a duck egg, just curious? Ducks are very social animals, they either need other ducks or a human who works at home. Who will he imprint on? Do you have ducks already, or will he be your first?
    Please update with pictures if she hatches! I love ducky pictures lol [​IMG]
    I think you are doing a very good job so far - I hope she makes it! [​IMG]

10. Gtmommy

Gtmommy Just Hatched

Jan 17, 2017
    Pip? Sorry this is my first hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by