abandoned eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Pollomama, May 3, 2016.

1. Pollomama

Pollomama Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    Our friends lost their mother duck during the night. She was their only duck. The eggs were probably without her for up to 12 hours in 60 degree weather. We now have them in an incubator. They are close to the hatching age. What are our chances of them hatching?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] If the eggs were viable to begin with, and the low temp. was in the 60's, they should still hatch. If she was their only duck, was there a drake available to mate with her?

1 person likes this.
  3. Pollomama

May 3, 2016
    YES, I BELIEVE THEY WERE FERTILIZED. I'M NEW TO THIS, BUT WHEN I CANDLED THEM, THEY WERE ALL DARK WITH JUST A WHITE SPOT ON THE END. (NOT SURE OF THE CORRECT TERM) I ALSO AM NOT TURNING THE EGGS, BECAUSE FROM WHAT I READ, YOU STOP DOING THIS IN THE END. AM I CORRECT?

4. Pollomama

May 3, 2016
    So, we have had these eggs in an incubator for 5 days, and they have not done anything. how long should we keep waiting?

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Have you candled them? What is the temperature and humidity?

6. Pollomama

May 3, 2016
    Yes candles when we got them. They were all dark with just white on the end. 99.5 temp 40% humidity

7. Pollomama

May 3, 2016
    Oh my goodness, one just hatched! Only my 12 year old and 8 year old are home with them. What do I do? Never hatched anything before! So excited, but nervous! I told him to leave it in the incubator for a bit until he he is fluffy and dry. help???

8. Pollomama

May 3, 2016
    We have one sweet duckling. How long should I wait to see if the others will hatch?

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It could be a day or three, from what little I know. Newly hatched ones stay in the incubator till they fluff up, I think.

@Lacrystol, @Orca5094, @dotknott, I know there are other hatchers.

10. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    If you candle and see something in the air cell (bill shaped) then you're 24-48 hours from a hatch.

72hrs from first hatch to last is not entirely unheard of, but I'd expect a smaller window with fewer eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by