1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

abandoned eggs

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by ImTheRealElly, Aug 1, 2011.

1. ImTheRealElly

ImTheRealElly Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    my rollers sat on their eggs for 3 weeks and then abandoned them. they are now mating again. is this common? it was their first eggs.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The eggs must have not been fertile. Incubation period for pigeon eggs is 18 days. Absolutely normal for them to start a second round if the first does not hatch. Hopefully this round will be fertile. Were there two eggs? If there were more than 2, you have two hens mated together.

3. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Yeah they weren't fertile. It is common for first time parents to have an unsuccessful hatch (usually from not incubating them properly) or they may abandon the babies or simply not feed them very well. They get better as they get more experience.

4. ImTheRealElly

ImTheRealElly Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    well i opened the eggs and they were definately fertile. they looked like they had only developed a few days though. no recognizable parts. so i guess they let them get cold early on. maybe they will do better next time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by