1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

abandoned eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by seclusionfarms, Nov 12, 2011.

1. seclusionfarms

seclusionfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2011
    Lake City, Fl
    I have a broody that has hatched out many of the eggs but now she isn't sitting on them anymore and a small pip has appreared in one of the eggs but its going to get cold tonight. what should i do?

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:I can't remember what a few said they have done other than place it in an incubator. I hope you get some answers and it hatches!! [​IMG]

3. seclusionfarms

Aug 16, 2011
    Lake City, Fl

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If you don't have an incubator you can always try a heating pad. I have heard of someone actually hatching some chicks on a heating pad or put a lamp or some light/heat source in a box or similar. Just some way try to monitor the temp.

5. ILOVELEGHORNS

ILOVELEGHORNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Wisconsin
    If the hen isn't sitting on the eggs, then the babies for sure wont make it overnight. They have a chance if you intervene and foster them yourself.

6. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    If they're already hatching, 'sit' on them yourself! It won't be long till they're out and hopefully the hen will take them back without a fuss. If I were you I think I'd put on a parka with a pouch pocket on the front of it and put the eggs in the pocket. Put on a jacket or another jersey over the top for added warmth, and see what happens. Or if you're a woman, wear a pull-on type sports bra and put the eggs in that...

7. seclusionfarms

Aug 16, 2011
    Lake City, Fl
    Thanks for the help i really appreciate it! The last chick pipped and is alive though im not sure if it will make it, its just laying there and breathing:D

8. ILOVELEGHORNS

ILOVELEGHORNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Awwww! Is he warm enough? Try encouraging him to drink some sugar water or electrolyte solution. If you cant get to the feed store, perhaps useing pedialyte. That should jump start his system again

9. seclusionfarms

Aug 16, 2011
    Lake City, Fl
    Thank you [​IMG] it was warm and i gave it save a chick but it passed away last night. [​IMG] I think it used so much of its energie stuggling to get out of the egg because i didn't see it pip until friday morning and it didn't hatch until that night, with help, but it could have been there longer because it was under the chicken. I really appreciate all the help everyone gave me with this problem!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by