abandoned eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amirfarmer, Oct 12, 2013.

1. amirfarmer

amirfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    my hen abandoned her eggs on 13th day....i want to know that how long will the ebreyo will live plzzzz tell me its very important for me!!!!!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. sallyspoultry

sallyspoultry New Egg

Oct 10, 2013
    Won't leave it any longer than a day not completely certain could u use a heat lamp or lock her into coop

4. amirfarmer

amirfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    no incubator

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You can make a simple incubator with a cooler, light bulb, thermometer, thermostat.

Are you sure she abandoned the eggs? How long has she been off of them? Did you candle the eggs to see if they were developing?

6. davemonkey

davemonkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    +1 with all the above. My hen abandoned at Day 16 and I only had an ice chest and a shop light. I managed to situate it all to get 102F in there. Of the 4 eggs, only 1 hatched, but the others had died at the time she abandoned them (I suspect the reason she left the nest is because she knew they were not going to make it).

I've even heard of someone using an oven with just the light turned on. But then you can't use your oven for awhile, and you have to watch the temperature. Just the light in the oven can reach 140F after some time.

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I've heard of women hatching developing eggs by keeping them in their bra.

8. davemonkey

davemonkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    LOL!!! Well, I suppose that would work as well. The temp would be about right, and humidity <giggle-snort>. I'm going to ask my wife if she'll consider that the next time we need an emergency incubator! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by