abandoned goose number 2NOW WITH PICTURES

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Mom 2em All, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I have posted here about Henry- the Toulouse that I rescued that someone found in a park as a baby. He is huge now, doing great. I got him a girlfriend last week. She is a Toulouse/American cross. Smaller than him, a couple weeks younger- still has a baby fuzz neck- the rest is feathered in. Her name is Penelope.

Today, my van broke down- and I pulled off the road to a park because it was smoking like crazy., a local homeless guy came rushing up to see if I needed help. Nope. Im fine. Got a cellphone and a husband, thank you anyway. Well, he then asked me if I would help this goose. Someone dumped it this a.m. He said he tried chasing it to be with the other geese (pekin ducks) but they attacked it. Said it had been running around in the hot sun all day long.
    It was darn near dead when I took a look. Young goose- smaller than Henry and Penelope. Looks just like them. No baby feathers. Longer neck, though, feathers almost the same. American? Maybe? At first glance, it looks the same as Henry and Penelope. Extremely dehydrated, overheated. Homeless guy asked me why if its hot wouldnt it go into the river? I told him it was too scared, and would be dead before long. I scooped it up and it flopped its head across my shoulder. I put it in my van- kept the door open, and poured it some water. It guzzled a few drinks but I wasnt sure what to do at that point. My husband pulled up and I put the goose in his air-conditioned van. After determining that my van could not be saved and would need to be towed, we brought the goose home.
    It looks amazingly better now- but I know it wouldnt have survived the day. Poor thing. My expen is out in the yard, open- we take the bunny out there for exercise. This poor goose put himself inside it. Kept looking at me like, "take me home"..

I dont know what kind it is. It has no baby feathers. But it looks like my Toulouse. Thinner legs than both Henry and penelope. Neck is a little longer. Other than that, it looks just like them.
    ideas? I will get a picture and show you all.

Notice the size difference and no baby feathers or fuzz...even smaller than baby Penelope:

Here is Libby:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The trio- from the fence :
    Libby, Henry, Penelope..please excuse my poopy driveway- everything poops on it all day long, I promise I clean it up daily.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    here Libby is closest to the fence, Henry is closest to the camera, and Penelope is behind Henry-
    [​IMG]

and Henry eating the camera again:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:If it looks like the 2 you have maybe it just needs some TLC. poor baby, your van broke down just were it needed too.

3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

X2...It sure did, You were ment to be there. Poor baby, I hope s/hes feeling a bit better now in good company.

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Another nice story. Good thing you came along when you did -- I guess it was fate.

How come the only things I ever find are bags of dog poo and McDonalds wrappers and so forth?

5. ChicwannaB

ChicwannaB Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN
    Quote:If it looks like the 2 you have maybe it just needs some TLC. poor baby, your van broke down just were it needed too.

yeah, thats real serendipity, Im glad to see you posted over here Mom2

6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

you're a good person!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

And she has a name already. You do know its a keeper now youve named it [​IMG]

8. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. ellenmartin

ellenmartin Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    THANK GOD for people like you.

What you're doing is a great thing and miracles will come your way for the unselfish giving and caring kindness you show one of God's most innocent creatures. [​IMG]

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It could be smaller because it is female or maybe it wasn't fed properly as a gosling so it didn't grow correctly? The feathering could also be that maybe it wasn't too hot while growing so it feathered out quicker? I'd think it would have had to be kept in an air-conditioned building to feather out that well though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by