Abandoned hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by auracana07, Nov 10, 2008.

1. auracana07

auracana07 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    My five month old Whyandott hen has recently been acting very strangely. For the past few days when I go out at night to put my chickens to bed my Whyandott is always on the floor. Every time she tries to get on the perch my other hens block her way and every time she actually succeeds to get on the perch the other chickens push her off. Eventually she just gives up and lays down on the floor. I've been trying to let her solve it herself, but every time I eventually have to place her on the perch manually. Is this a bad habit to get into? Is there anything wrong with my hen and if so what should I do?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I would probably build her her own perch. Selfish little buggers have her at the bottom of the pecking order.....

3. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    My blue Polish roo, Peter Frampton, has to be picked up from a roost in our old dog crate, asleep, and carried to the coop. He must be really low on the pecking order.

Cheri

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree.

5. I have a really nice RIR hen that is not interested in fighting for the perch. She lets me pick her up most every night. I place her on a perch that is not so crowded and she is good to go till morning. She is getting really heavy and I am kinda getting attached to her. We feed our birds way too much, especially right before the cold weather sets in. I did manage to worm the flock this day. I am hoping the birds that are a bit lethargic pick up some wieght and zip. Tonight I went to the barn with two loaves of bread. They got pretty active and i watched carefully to see what birds were not so interested. It is an amazing thing to witness, about 100 birds going for the bread !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by