Abandoned or lost rouen duck.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CatJane0x0, Jul 30, 2010.

1. CatJane0x0

CatJane0x0 Songster

May 5, 2010
    Alpena, MI
    I just got an abandoned or lost rouen today from a friend. (Most likely dumped.) He was just swimming alone down the river. He is molting and I can see some shiny green coming in on his head. He was very happy to be invited to eat with the chickens! He's somewhat underweight, but he'll fix that now from the looks of it. He has bitten me a few times, but who could blame him?? (Silly thing trying to be scary.) He will be kept out with the chickens. I hope I can find a girlfriend for him, but maybe he will be happy with just the chickens I hope. I have two runners, but they are house ducks and also one is a male. A battle would happen I bet. We'll see how he does. He wants to be friendly I think....he's just so stressed. If anyone has advice I would be happy to have it. Thanks!

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have no real help, having gotten ducks just this year after a 20 year break. They can live with chickens, just try to control the water and mud. Maybe you can find some more ducks on your local Craig's List?

3. CatJane0x0

CatJane0x0 Songster

May 5, 2010
    Alpena, MI
    He seems to be settling down, not so bitey today. I bought a hanging water pail for everyone yesterday since he was splashing around in the dark. I flipped on the lights and there he was in there! lol [​IMG] Anyhow, hope that helps a little with the mess.

I will check craigslist -- thanks for the idea ranchhand! I'm hoping to find someone with a friendly girl of any breed for him.

4. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Songster

Dec 21, 2009
    Any pictures?

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Get him a mate before he starts breeding your hens and causing physical damage to them.

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Sounds like you're doing just fine with him! He'll calm down as you spend more time with him, and you can also bribe him with hand-held treats. Or, once he knows what the feeder looks like, let it get empty for a few hours (after he's put on some weight), then bring it out full and sit down right next to it so he has to come right up to you to eat. I think he'll calm down eventually. [​IMG]

As for getting girls, don't forget to look in the auctions section of this site as well, and also if you post where (approximately) you're located, maybe someone on these boards near you has some ducks they could part with. Good luck!

7. CatJane0x0

CatJane0x0 Songster

May 5, 2010
    Alpena, MI
    I will snap a bunch of photos of him for you guys. He is very handsome indeed. The lady I got him from named him Daffy, but I am am secretly calling him Rouen Wilson. I will be keeping a very close eye on him around my hens until I find a lady friend for him. Any tips on keeping water messes down? I will be spending some time researching that I know. I may end up building a duck pen just for ducks this year yet! Thank you guys for the tips so far by the way. I will browse the auctions after I post this. (I actually forgot all about the auction section on here!) I'd love to find a few egg sellers with good rep on here perhaps. [​IMG] -- But first, I better worry about Mr.Wilson until I know he's settled for sure. I will take some photos to share tomorrow. He is very cute! I just wish I knew what he'd been through or even how old he is.

8. CatJane0x0

CatJane0x0 Songster

May 5, 2010
    Alpena, MI
    Here he is...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He is getting a little greener each day...and little less cranky.
    Anyhow, he is an interesting bird.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  9. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Songster

Dec 21, 2009
    He's beautiful!

10. CatJane0x0

CatJane0x0 Songster

May 5, 2010
    Alpena, MI
    He is indeed! lol -- thanks chicken boy [​IMG]
    I let him start roaming free today with the chickens. He is doing great out there...he tried to get into the pool when my two Indian runners went outdoors and pointed out its location. My male runner refused to let him in! (Poor guy.) Well, later this evening when they come back indoors Wilson will have the pool to himself.

For the water in the pen, I put a wide and somewhat shallow pan to catch any spilled water under the hanging water can. He can go in there and at least recycle it and the others can drink from it as well. Best I could come up with for now at least. It seems to help a lot. [​IMG]

If I get a Pekin lady for Wilson I was wondering what the ducklings might look like? I have been looking for pics of the mix, but haven't found any yet. If anyone has a pic or knows where on is... I'd love to see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by