Abandoned rooster, what is he?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Albanydog, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Albanydog

Albanydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2009
    Central Oregon Coast
    This gorgeous rooster, along with a couple others, just appeared in our chicken yard a couple months ago. We re-homed the others but he is so beautiful we decided to keep him but are interested to know what he might be? We had a Barred Rock rooster, Steve, a few years ago and this guy doesn't have the lighter coloring Steve did, he also has feathery feet?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Barred Rock mix

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  3. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    He's a good lookin' roo! What's his name?

4. frazo96

frazo96 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2012
    Looks like a mixed barred rock to me too.

5. Albanydog

Albanydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2009
    Central Oregon Coast
    Haven't named him yet, got to get to know their personality first :)

We used to have a barred rooster and he had much lighter coloring then this guy, who has the same color as our barred hens, so I didn't think he was barred rock. As for the barred part, I am really bad at telling the difference between any breed with the same coloring and similar pattern thing going on!

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think cuckoo marans. That difference in the pattern you're seeing is the cuckoo vs barring, see how his colors make kinda a V shape instead of a straighter bar like a barred rock? It's hard to describe, but I think you're seeing it from what you've said.

Okay, just looked them up and I guess the cuckoos are the ones that don't have feathered feet? I'm so NOT a Marans person, maybe someone here will chime in. And I thought I was on to something lol.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Wow, I'd hoped someone else would weigh in. He's pretty, and if he's good with the ladies sounds like a good find to me!

8. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    He looks like a Black Sex-link Rooster.

9. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Not sex link- they dont have feathered legs. Not marans- he has yellow skin.

Barred rock cross/mix is a good guess as BR are extremely common. Cross of BR and breed with heavy leg feathering would be reasonable guess.. like giant cochin, brahma....

due to not having any other color present on hackles/saddles, the heavy feathers on legs, long loose fluff on rear plus seems to have extra sickles on tail, I'd personally guess barred rock crossed with black giant cochin. iirc, cochins also have yellow skin, which is recessive so this cross would be guaranteed to throw all yellow skin, which this rooster has as evidenced by yellow legs.

He's 'darker' than your old rooster because this guy is not pure for the barring gene. It has a dose effect- meaning roosters 'pure' for barring will be lighter than 'not pure for barring' roosters and hens(because it is also sex linked, which means hens are able to have only one copy of barring or none at all... unlike roosters which can have either double dose, single dose or none)

10. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    He's a barred rock mix. Maybe a barred rock rooster over a red sex link or other red hen. Short answer....He's a mutt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by