Abandoned street chicken- Need to know breed and gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pantslady, Oct 10, 2013.

1. pantslady

pantslady New Egg

Oct 10, 2013
    Hey there,

This chicken was just found in the middle of the street under a car really upset. This is in Austin Texas in a very urban area but nobody knows whose chicken it is or where it came from. It does however seem very young and friendly.

Can anybody help me determine what breed this is? Also any hints as to age or help determining gender would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I could be wrong, but I don't think that is a chicken. The head and beak look to large for a chicken chick. It looks like a turkey poult. My guess is about 4 to 6 weeks. (Still fuzzy head but mostly feathered).

It is hard to sex turkeys at a young age. It is easier after 8 weeks.

I have no idea what breed, so hopefully someone can come on and help with that.

Lady of McCamley

EDITED TO ADD: http://extension.usu.edu/wasatch/files/uploads/Sexing turkeys-toms vs. hens.pdf

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/8-3/getting-started-with-turkey-poults/

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    looks like a chicken to me, as turkeys don't have combs, only a little snood that starts out fuzzy (looks like a little pimple).

Can you get a picture of it standing up?

4. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Good point...it's been awhile since we did our turkey project...too long apparently.

Then I'll go back to my original post before I erased my answer and wrote in the wrong one (wow...just like my school days)

My original guess was 4 to 6 weeks and female as not much comb development...yet...but it's too early to tell for sure and the head is very angular which may indicate roo...or just a really gawky stage.

Not sure (obviously) as to breed as I second guessed myself and went with a different species! Agree standing pic would be better .

My first immediate thought was production red of some kind.

Lady of McCamley (who is looking into getting better glasses and/or monitor)

5. pantslady

pantslady New Egg

Oct 10, 2013
    Thank you so much for your replies, here is a standing pic sorry for the poor quality.

[​IMG]

6. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    I would say pullet and agree with some kind of production maybe RIR. I've never seen one with a beak like that though LOL! Do not put her in with an existing flock, it might be lonely for a while but you can't be sure it's healthy. Good luck

7. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Does it have feathers on its neck? (I think so, especially from first photos...but seriously, this monitor is making things blurrier on a blurry photo and it's hard to tell if that is light on light feathers/down or light on skin)...

If it doesn't have any feathers on its neck, or very sparse neck feathers, it might be a naked neck chicken (turken) or turken mix. Which might explain the turkey-ish appearance.

Lady of McCamley (who is saving up money for a new monitor...sheesh.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by