Abandoned thread

Jan 23, 2022
Nrh Tx
In the morning I feed them a little bit of oyster shell, just the tiniest bit too much could kill them, then they eat, in the afternoon I feed them a big cup of layena and maybe scratch if they are good taht day i also put more os in there for their Daily protein. Rooster I feed separate and I give him flock starter, I also mix flock starter with the hens food sometimes, scratch that out almost every day I feed them with flock and layena.And the rooster in the morning I give him a small bit of oyster shell. Every week I refill the duck pool after cleaning it out every day I have to refill their huge water feeder and I gave the duck a separate bowl of water so she can drink it while she eats but I always put the bowl of water a couple steps away so she does not put water in the food for the hens to eat.
D70FB9A3-8EBA-4A40-B74D-37F88D5F316B.jpeg

In the morning I feed them a little bit of oyster shell, just the tiniest bit too much could kill them, then they eat, in the afternoon I feed them a big cup of layena and maybe scratch if they are good taht day i also put more os in there for their Daily protein. Rooster I feed separate and I give him flock starter, I also mix flock starter with the hens food sometimes, scratch that out almost every day I feed them with flock and layena.And the rooster in the morning I give him a small bit of oyster shell. Every week I refill the duck pool after cleaning it out every day I have to refill their huge water feeder and I gave the duck a separate bowl of water so she can drink it while she eats but I always put the bowl of water a couple steps away so she does not put water in the food for the hens to eat. View attachment 2972036
You are making it way too complicated. As a fellow chicken owner, I know what its like to over complicate things. Here are things you should know about chickens. Number one, they can regulate their needs VERY well. Not sure why you think a little bit more of OS could kill them, cause it can't, they know how much they need. I have OS on the SIDE in a SEPARATE container where is can't get wet, and it is there 24/7. Chickens will go and look for it when they need it. Keep in mind that even roosters need it. Number two, layer feed is bad for chicks, pullets who aren't laying, cockerels, and roosters. Why? Because they don't need the extra calcium found in the feed. Layer feed consists of a calcium level needed by "actively" laying chickens. I feed All-flock, or flock raiser. Its basically feed that tends to have a higher protein level, but very low calcium level. Chickens can get the rest their calcium from OS. Just DON'T mix OS with their feed. Another thing is that scratch actually does more harm than good. Scratch is a treat, which should never exceed 10% of their diet, as most will say. However, I just find it easier just to not feed it often at all, definitely not on a daily basis. The more treats you feed, the less balanced their diet becomes.

You are making it way too complicated. As a fellow chicken owner, I know what its like to over complicate things. Here are things you should know about chickens. Number one, they can regulate their needs VERY well. Not sure why you think a little bit more of OS could kill them, cause it can't, they know how much they need. I have OS on the SIDE in a SEPARATE container where is can't get wet, and it is there 24/7. Chickens will go and look for it when they need it. Keep in mind that even roosters need it. Number two, layer feed is bad for chicks, pullets who aren't laying, cockerels, and roosters. Why? Because they don't need the extra calcium found in the feed. Layer feed consists of a calcium level needed by "actively" laying chickens. I feed All-flock, or flock raiser. Its basically feed that tends to have a higher protein level, but very low calcium level. Chickens can get the rest their calcium from OS. Just DON'T mix OS with their feed. Another thing is that scratch actually does more harm than good. Scratch is a treat, which should never exceed 10% of their diet, as most will say. However, I just find it easier just to not feed it often at all, definitely not on a daily basis. The more treats you feed, the less balanced their diet becomes.
Ou ok then i need to work on what i feed my pets :hmm 0_°

Ok so i need a list of what feed i need to buy from the feed store and how much i need to get

There are only 4 things you need to feed your chickens:

- a complete diet poultry feed ("flock raiser" is best, but "layer" or "starter" works too)
- a source of calcium (crushed eggshell or oyster shell)
- grit
- water

Provide all of these free choice ( = always available), and you're all set. Everything else is extra and should be fed in moderation.

Hello! It seems you've gotten a lot of really good info so far. Looks like you've done a great job at doing research, and trying to figure out what you need to feed your babies, nice work! You obviously care a lot. If I were you, I could try to simplify my feeding schedule a bit.
Chickens are really good at knowing how much of what they need, so offering Oyster shell on the side rather than daily might work better for you. You can purchase corner feeders, hanging feeders, or simply use a bucket to hold it. I use an old dog bowl and a corner feeder. I love both! Just make sure its under cover so it can't get wet.
You can also feed your chicken feed free choice. You can feed it morning/night if you want, or if you are worried about rodents.
When you go to the feed store next, pic up an All Flock feed or Starter feed in a 50lb bag. I would get multiple bags so it lasts a while. Either feed is fine, neither contain calcium which is good. You don't want to feed layer since it can contain unnecessary calcium for your rooster, or for hens who aren't laying at the time. I feed a starter because of the higher protein. Especially in winter. Added protein helps them keep them warm.
I like to use an Organic Non-GMO feed, but thats just my opinion. ;)
If I were you, my list would look something like this-

All flock/Starter chicken feed (depending on whats available)
Oyster shell bowl/grit bowl
Oyster shell
Grit

Also, I couldn't tell in your post if you were feeding Scratch mixed into the feed, or as a treat. I'll just put it in anyway. You don't want to mix scratch into the feed since it can cause a protein deficiency. The birds will likely pick the scratch out and eat that rather than the feed. You can still feed scratch, your hens will love it as a treat, mine love it! Just make sure its no more than 10% of the diet. Thats about 1 Tablespoon per bird per day.
I hope my post was helpful! Again, doing so much research for your flock, and even better job at posting this thread to make sure you were doing everything right. There always so much to learn. :)

Back
Top Bottom