Abbey needs help..** IMPROVMENT**

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Crazy4Chicks, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    Abbey is having a hard time .... she will not eat anything and only drinks water if we bring it to her - she does not stay outside long enough to get a drink - she is a little on the weak side today she is still able to walk but just shows no intrest in food of any kind..

does anyone have a trick to get her to eat ??? me and DH are going to get her some cans of puppy food along with some dry puppy food to see if that helps - even if we have to give her people food right now thats fine with us - what ever it takes to get this girl to eat is what we will do.

any advice please ....

Julie

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Could be a couple things--assumung she is a puppy??--

Has she gotten into anything lately?? garbage??scraps??

How are things on the other end????

ANything change in your house???

Could be anything from a simple upset stomach to behavior to to worms something more complicated. If she is a puppy, dont let it go to long without a vet. Puppies can get weak quickly.

EDIT TO ADD: Oh, abby just gave birth right??? Hmm, I think Id take her in to the vets. Could be complications from the birth, toxicity, etc. Assuming I am thinking of the right Abby.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  3. buzzard chick

buzzard chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Toms River, NJ
    Take her to the vet. She could have a calcium deficiency and need injections and IV fluids. Good luck

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Call the vet. Could be the start of toxemia or calcium deficiency or an infection or any number of post-partum problems.

Mother dogs are usually RAVENOUS - can't get enough to eat. Not eating after whelping is definately a danger sign and needs professional advice of your vet.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  5. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    Abbey is a little over a year old ....

nothing in house has changed other the fact she had two pups on Dec-31..

she has not gotten into the trash ( I make DH take it out daily)...

I am sure it is from having the pups. she has a vet appointment friday when the pups get thier tails docked, but she needs to eat something NOW !!

She is up to date on all her shots - something we made sure before she bred.
    my poor girl is looking so skinny

Julie

6. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    She may have another pup inside, two is a very small litter for a boxer. If she is toxic, she is passing tainted milk to the babies. I feel this is an emergency.

7. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I would not wait until Friday, I to feel this is an emergency. Usually when they do not eat and if she is losing noticeable weight something is wrong. Also if she is not drinking she is becoming dehydrated which is not good nursing puppies. I would get Abbey in as soon as you can. Good Luck.

8. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    Take her to the vet - NOW. If there is a 24 hr. emergency clinic in your area, go.

Take her temperature - NOW, before you go. It should read 100.5 - 102.5. This is a range of temps that are "normal" for most dogs. Use any thermometer you have, rectally, with KY or Vaseline or corn oil, whatever you have to get it in on hand without pain to her. Lift up her flews and check the color inside her mouth, especially her gums. Should be a nice pink color - not pale pink or white/bluish.

All this aside, if she were my dog, just having pups, I'd already be on the way to the vet.

Best of luck,
    Mas

9. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Did you take her for a pit injection (oxytocin)? I do that as standard procedure after puppies. It helps the afterbirth to pass and if there were any other pups it would cause her start contracting again. Please DON'T WAIT!
    In the meantime, she may take some yogurt or cottage cheese. And you should be feeding her puppy food for the higher protein and fat content.
    Good luck and keep up posted.

10. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    Quote:Abbey is 48 hours post partum, I fear it is too late for pit without other interventions if retained afterebirth/puppy is the case. I would suggest a vet visit as it is getting late in the day and may avoid an emergency vet visit during the night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by