Abcess in tail area, eye infection

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ginafl, May 9, 2011.

1. ginafl

ginafl New Egg

Apr 27, 2011
    My neighbor has a 3 year old domestic turkey I am trying to help her with. The turkey weighs approx 25lbs and has been housed with her chickens who live in a large enclosure (50X30) with sandy ground. There are a couple coops for the chickens and a walk in coop area that he generally sleeps in.

She noticed the abcess yesterday evening and seperated him from the chickens. She left a message for me to go look at him for her to see what I thought as she had to go into work early today. I went over there this morning and cleaned out the wound with betadine. It looks like it had been swollen and burst but I cannot be sure. Wondering if maybe had/has impacted feather? I noticed his right eye was shut and oozy looking so I cleaned that with a little saline. The eyeball itself looks ok but there is something going on with it as the surrounding area is yellowish in color and he keeps it closed.

I moved him into a large cage for now so he does not have to walk so far for food and water. His droppings look normal and he ate and drank while I was there.

She does not want to spend money on vet if she can help it so I am trying to help as best as I can. I think he may need antibiotics. We have human amoxicillan 800mg (pill) and dog cephlexin 500 mg (capsules) Hoping that one of these will work for him? If so, how to dose?

I am new here, going down now to take some pics of the abcess and his eye and try to figure out how to upload. Thank you for your assistance. Gina

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Hi, Gina, and welcome. I don't have the dosages for you, but hopefully someone will chime in soon with something helpful. Nice to meet you, but sorry it's through these circumstances.

3. ginafl

ginafl New Egg

Apr 27, 2011
    q

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  4. ginafl

ginafl New Egg

Apr 27, 2011
    Here are the abscess images (I hope)[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. ginafl

ginafl New Egg

Apr 27, 2011
    Ok, I got it, just a matter of time I guess. Here are the pics of his eye. I really hope someone out there can help this guy out. He is such a sweety pie. His momma, Laurie, has had him since he was just a week or two old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  6. ginafl

ginafl New Egg

Apr 27, 2011
    I have NEOMYCIN/POLYMYXIN eye drops that were prescribed for my dog. Would that help or hurt?

7. ginafl

ginafl New Egg

Apr 27, 2011
    Quote:Thank you for responding, guessing nobody has any suggestions for this poor guy - well, going to have to wing it:( Wish me luck.

8. ginafl

ginafl New Egg

Apr 27, 2011
    For anyone who may have been interested or following this thread, he is doing ok this morning. Eye is looking much better - did not put any drops or anything, just flushing with saline. Also got a closer look at the wound and removed the broken shaft.

Still not sure what caused this injury/abscess.

I am also a member of The Squirrel Board and was referred here when I had question about a baby turkey a couple weeks ago.

Would appreciate any help/advise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by