Abcess or otherwise?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tacampbell1973, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Tacampbell1973

Tacampbell1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    [​IMG]
    This is my four month old pullet, Pepper. This is the second day that I have noticed this lump. It is somewhat fluctuent (squishy). I am not anxious to go shoving any needles inn it or anything yet. I have been putting hot compresses on it three times a day for two days now. Can someone suggest something else to do for her please?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. Tacampbell1973

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    Thank you for the advice. I pried her beak open and it is all perfectly pink. Thank God, I am going to keep hot compressing it until I can figure out what else to do. I really really do not have the stomacheto lance it, and even if i did, it isn't ready yet.

5. Tacampbell1973

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    Hello Eggcessive I just wanted to post an update on my little cochin pullets "abcess". I am pleased to say that it has healed completely. What I am ashamed to say is I backtracked and figured out what happened....A week or so before this abcess showed up I was going out to the coop to feed in the am. I had a lit cigarette in my other hand. Bad Bad Plan. Little Pepper jumped up and grabbed the cigarette out of myhand while it was behind my back. I checked her thoroughly after it happened and didn't see anything obvious although you wouldnt see a small burn in the mouth. I thnk she caught it midway and the lit part got the cornerof her beak. Needless to say I am very ashamed and have never made that mistake again. I can't imagine what I was thinking and am just grateful that she is ok now.....Thank you for your help through this though..

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm so glad she is better. That picture of her face was unlike any of the others I have seen here on BYC while trying to research, so I'm glad you solved the mystery, and it is not a new disease LOL!

7. MavisMama

MavisMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Sturgeon Bay, WI
    [​IMG]
    Mavis was pecked about 3 weeks ago - the rooster got a few good big feathers from the back of her neck & it bled like crazy. I cleaned her up & applied triple antibiotic ointment & she's been kept from the others ever since (getting to be a very spoiled girl). She's been acting fine, but when I cleaned her up today this isbwhat I found. It's like a big bubble sulked with serous fluid, which oozes around the remaining feathers.
    Since it's sunday & she doesn't appear to be sick, I'll call the vet tomorrow. Anyone dealt with this type of thing? I'm hoping antibiotics will clear it up, but we'll do whatever she needs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by