Abcess/scab

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kcschickies, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Kcschickies

Kcschickies Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    I'm a bit new to this but I need some advice. Got a chicken from murdochs, she was picked on. Any advice on how to heal her hurt? She acts fine but the skin around the scab has split and it's very pink. I really wouldn't want to loose her. I am not sure if it's infected, green stuff came off of it earlier, just a tiny bit [​IMG]

2. Kcschickies

Kcschickies Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    I cleaned it up a bit[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you have some betadine or chlorhexidene to clean it off, and then apply some plain antibiotic ointment twice a day. Or you can clean it with Vetericyn spray from most feed stores, applied twice daily. It should heal up in a few weeks, but she looks like she had a big abscessed wound. Green slin around a wound can be a sign of bruising.

4. Kcschickies

Kcschickies Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    I only have peroxide and corona ointment. Would they work?

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Peroxide could be used 1/2 strength mixed with water one time, and then I would not use it again since it can delay healing. An antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin, triple antibiotic, bacitracin, or polysporin can be used. You could use the Corona once, but I would get the plain triple antibiotic ointment tomorrow.

6. Kcschickies

Kcschickies Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    Ok I'll see if I can get some triple antibiotic tomorrow. Thank you for your help

7. Kcschickies

Kcschickies Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    She has some feathers growing around and in that area. Do you think they will be ok? I'm not sure if there is anything I can do about them. The down around that area seems to be wet or sweaty most of the time as well. But the skin doesn't seem to be such a bright pink anymore. I've considered rinsing it with warm water again to clean it. All I have is corona ointment as well.

8. Kcschickies

Kcschickies Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    UPDATE: She is much better now. Her scab has healed. I ended up getting the old one off and the new one formed and healed in no time at all. The only problem is, I think her wing is broke or has a defect. The joint is really big and she holds her wing oddly. But there is nothing I can do for that, so I'm glad she is healthy

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is very good news. Thank you for the update. I hope her wing improves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by