Abdomin swollen, lathargic, Pinguin stare???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by James_in_Utah, Jun 10, 2011.

1. James_in_Utah

James_in_Utah Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    Hi,
    I noticed one of my hens spending a lot of time in the nest box recently. I thought she was just going broody, because she was still very interested in food. This morning I notice she was very listless, and when I picked her up it felt like she was very bloated. Now she's just standing in place, in the pinguin stance. I'm afraid she's egg bound or something like that. Any suggestions for anything that can be done for her?

2. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    bump

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If she is bloated, most likely she isn't egg bound, she has fluid from egg peritonitis/internal laying. With egg binding, an egg is actually stuck in the oviduct and you can sometimes ease it out yourself, but the other is much worse because there really isn't much you can do except hit her with massive doses of penicillin, maybe drain the abdomen and pray. This thread may be helpful to you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=362422

4. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    if she is egg bound, give her warm baths and massage her abdomen and lub her vent with even olive oil to help move the egg out, keep her in a darken area to prevent her from making another egg , lots of info her for treatment of this problem

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by