Aberdeenshire, Scotland

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by missfelicity, Aug 4, 2008.

1. missfelicity

missfelicity New Egg

Aug 4, 2008
    I used to live in Seattle, did a little bit of farm girl stuff in Missouri one old cow and a few lovely piggies! Now I live in Scotland of all places! I am getting some ex-battery hens rescued from by a friend of mine down the road. The poor wee things are just now getting their feathers back. I hate to see animals treated this way. They aren't meant to be inside all the time. Luckily they still have their beaks and are fairly healthy at 50 weeks old. They were going to be used for dog food. I am a vegitarian and a buddhist so these girls are lucky they won't be killed and eaten at the end of their laying days they will just go old and die gracefully. I am going to have four of her girls in my back garden. Not much room but enough for the wee things to have a decent life.

Scotland is very cold in the winter we get windy gales here and I worry about my girls in the winter. My friend Heather says they are used to it but I do worry. My cats are mainly inside and pampered. I can just see the girls in my kitchen enjoying the warmth while it blows a gale outside.

I have been told if you keep the coop too warm it can get buggy very quick. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you so very much.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Welcome to BYC! My hubby loves Scotland and would love to go back there! I would too even I never been there!

Where are you located? We were hoping to see alot of scenic castles and walking tours of Scotland and maybe a Clydesdale breeding farm to see those majestic horses and Scottish blackface sheep.

Hope you get some chickens all settled in!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by