Abilene (Texas) Poultry Show...Oct 30th

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by WstTxLady, Oct 22, 2010.

1. WstTxLady

WstTxLady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2010
    Coleman County, Texas
    Is anyone attending? It is at the Taylor County Expo Center, Abilene Texas..display building. If there is already a post on this, sorry and redirect me there plz.

My oldest is turning 10 and wanted to go. I have never gone to one before and was wondering what all goes on there, vendors, products, etc? I have found NO info on it except where and when.

Thanks

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I went to it a few years ago when I lived just down the road from the fairgrounds. It was a pretty tight knit group that was showing, but very friendly. The local poultry club is always looking for new members. It was pretty much like you'd see at the county fair, birds in cages for show and judging. No vendors, nothing fancy. Just birds in cages with a lot of people milling around and talking about birds...

They did have a silent auction for stuff that club members had donated. Mostly garage sale type stuff. Not too much poultry related.

3. WstTxLady

Oct 17, 2010
    Coleman County, Texas
    thanks

4. blackred

blackred Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2007
    Blue Texas
    We drive up to the show from the Austin area every year for this show because it is a good one. Lots of good people that are more than willing to help someone out.
    Not much in the way of sale birds because the TAHC has some strict laws in Texas about selling birds off of your property, but there will be some birds for sale there, mostly bantams.
    If nothing else you can find some one who has birds in the show and ask them about buying some. There will be an exhibitors list there with numbers on it that you can look on the coop cards and find out who owns the bird.

The judging starts about 9 am and it will be all over by 3.

Bob

5. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

My DH plans to attend from Runnels County, called the phone # listed online but that person did not know when it started or much of anything about it. Anyone have any further info?

6. WstTxLady

Oct 17, 2010
    Coleman County, Texas
    We didn't go. Thursday night we surprised the kids and took them to a Christian concert (Casting Crowns) then we went to a football game Friday night. By Saturday morning we were all wore out and had to get stuff ready for the campfire/weenie roast/birthday party that evening (my oldest turned 10 Saturday). I will keep an eye out for more things like that in the area and attend the next one.

7. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If you do hear of another one, would you PM me?

My DH (Grumpy Rooster) said you had Maran's from Acco in Abilene. Are they Cuckoo Maran's? I would love to have some Blue or French Black Copper.

8. blackred

blackred Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2007
    Blue Texas
    Boo-Boo's Mama :

Quote:If you do hear of another one, would you PM me?

My DH (Grumpy Rooster) said you had Maran's from Acco in Abilene. Are they Cuckoo Maran's? I would love to have some Blue or French Black Copper.

The next Poultry show in Texas is the Bluebonnet Classic in College Station on January 8th -
    Then its the Ft Worth Stock show on January 22nd and 23rd

There will be a spring show in Abilene on March 19th(?) this will be a small one since most birds will be in the breeding pens​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by