Able to sex these little ones?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by richardwhite, Mar 30, 2015.

1. richardwhite

richardwhite Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2015
    Snellville georgia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are three-three week old easter eggers i got and i can identify the one with the peacomb as a roo. But the other two i cant figure out anyone able to help me out my first coupke easter eggers. Main reason is i cant have a cockerel where i am. They had their first taste of outside today! They loved it so they are hanging out for the last few hours in one of my spare quail cages till time to go in.

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Those do not look like Easter Eggers. They look to have single combs, not pea combs.

3. richardwhite

Jan 13, 2015
    Snellville georgia
    The pic with two in them the one on the left if i can get a picture of him holding still has three dostonct rows in the comb. But the females do seem to have one single comb. The one with three rows also has green blue legs and the other two has pink and yellow legs.

4. Rowsdower

Rowsdower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    They all look pretty cockerely to me.

5. richardwhite

Jan 13, 2015
    Snellville georgia
    [​IMG]

This is what i believe to be my roo. And i sure hope i dont have three lol.

6. richardwhite

Jan 13, 2015
    Snellville georgia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are some more pictures only one has the pea comb but the lightest colored one acts more cockerel which is the smallest one they are just shy of 4 weeks today. Nice and warm so i am putting them out around the rest of the flock for starting of introduction. Next week they go in the run seperated. Just want to get a jump on the roo situation so i know if i need to build another coop to take to my other land that i can have roos and start a second flock out there.

7. Rowsdower

May 27, 2012
    Oh dear, those are all cockerels. Sorry.

8. richardwhite

Jan 13, 2015
    Snellville georgia

To be honest i kinda thought they were ha i dont have enough hens to keep all three but i can keep atleast 2. What tells you all cockerels if you dont mind? Just trying to know because i will be ordering hatching eggs soon. Any signs i can look for with the easter egger? They seem to be so much different than any actual breed chickens i have had or been around. Have some aracauna hatching eggs on the way im sure to get a few females have 8 coming!

9. Rowsdower

May 27, 2012
    Their combs are far too large and red for an Easter Egger pullet at that age. I have some chicks about 8 weeks old, both pullets, and they have virtually 0 comb and it's pale like their skin. My older girls do not start to get big and red until right before they start to lay (about 20 weeks). And lastly, their coloring, Easter Eggers generally have very telltale markings. The red patches at the top of the wing always indicate a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by