Abnormal beak!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EasterEggers25, Jun 17, 2016.

1. EasterEggers25

EasterEggers25 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2016
    A little over a month ago, I recieved my Easter Eggers. All of them are almost fully feathered and growing wonderfully except for one. She is a hen and there is something wrong with her beak. Her beak is curved down, making it difficult for her to eat, but the worst part is, it appears her bottom beak didn't grow very much either. Her bottom beak is extremely short. Well after researching, I discovered that you can clip the beak to make the chicken appear to have a normal beak and gain back the ability to eat easier. I did this. Although, with her bottom beak being so short, it didn't help much at all. It takes her SEVERAL pecks before she able to eat anything. Even drinking water appears difficult for her. I do my best to provide her with soft foods such as tomatoes from the garden(she seems to be able to eat those a lot easier.)
    There is also a knot forming underneath her bottom beak, which I'm almost certain is a result from her abnormal beak. We have separated her from the other chickens due to her difficulty in eating. The other chickens are in the rowdy stage and prevent her from eating what she can.
    My family has grown to love these chickens very much. Especially our thin, fragile hen, Carrie.
    What do I need to do to make sure she doesn't starve?

2. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    Can you post a picture and then we should
    Be able to tell you what it is

3. EasterEggers25

Jun 17, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    I'm not sure what that is
    I have never seen that befour
    Somebody else should know
    Goodluck on finding out

5. EasterEggers25

Jun 17, 2016
    Thank you all so much for your help! Those links were super helpful! Thanks again!

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Your most welcome and good luck with her :fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by