Abnormal body and puffy bum.

May 26, 2018
Lafayette, La
Rather a safe than sorry post.

Chick had pasty bum twice and now just looks odd. Chest seems to be flared out and butt seems inflamed. She is not as active as the other gals and spends most her time under the brooder heat instead of roaming like her friends.

Attachments

• 2CC9AAEA-CA52-4854-887B-5F46ACA2EF37.jpeg
    2CC9AAEA-CA52-4854-887B-5F46ACA2EF37.jpeg
    621.4 KB · Views: 4
Put this chick on puppy pads so she's not eating bedding.

Offer her wet feed for a few days and continue with giving the coconut oil twice a day for a few days.
Make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

The vent doesn't look good. Keep it unclogged, but take care when cleaning her to not cause further damage. Mix a little epsom salts in warm water, apply wet compresses to her vent for about 5-10 minutes after she's cleaned. Do this a couple of times a day. Dry her very well - use a hair dryer on low to dry her fluff taking care to move the drying around and not burn her. After she's dry, apply a light layer of oil, ointment, vaseline, etc. to the vent and surrounding tissue to help sooth it.

Can you get some photos of her vent?

Does she have access to grit?

From what I can sort of see in the photo, her crop is quite full and her vent is swollen. She may be constipated. Her vent need some attention. Watch to see if she can actually poop or if her vent is clogged with poop.

Give her 1/2 tsp coconut oil twice a day. Make sure she's hydrated/drinking, offer some wet feed after she's drinking.
See that her crop is emptying overnight.

Photos of her poop would be good too.

Per the previous posters suggestions I have been giving her some coconut oil and an option of electrolyte water (normal water also available).

As far as food. Doing Dumor 20% chick starter/grower.
That sounds good.
I might have picked that poop apart a bit, dissection can often tell you more
Just keep an eye on it....hopefully things keep moving well.

It sounds like she is improving. Is she eating and drinking?
She is acting pretty normal, she isn't as active as the other chicks but she runs around a bit, eats and drinks.

Her crop is emptying which is good.

Going to soak her bum today in the suggest warm epson salt rag for 5-10 minutes today. I do not have a blow dryer so I haven't tried that yet.

She had a little poop on her vent there and I cleaned it off to show her actual vent.

Her crop is very full. I gave it a little massage and the chick visibly relaxed.

I will give a little coconut oil and another massage later.

Attachments

• 65E7812D-8C5A-4948-B2EA-595AC20EC9EA.jpeg
    65E7812D-8C5A-4948-B2EA-595AC20EC9EA.jpeg
    275.8 KB · Views: 1
  • AB3849BA-649E-46F9-86BE-B5815AC27497.jpeg
    AB3849BA-649E-46F9-86BE-B5815AC27497.jpeg
    271.6 KB · Views: 2
So her bum is still a little swollen but she is pooping fine and it looks like her crop is emptying.

Took a picture of her poop as maybe someone can tell me if she is actually fine

Attachments

• F5E01DD9-3C9A-4215-AF53-38C6F512BA65.jpeg
    F5E01DD9-3C9A-4215-AF53-38C6F512BA65.jpeg
    693.4 KB · Views: 1
Per the previous posters suggestions I have been giving her some coconut oil and an option of electrolyte water (normal water also available).

As far as food. Doing Dumor 20% chick starter/grower.

Back
Top Bottom