1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Abnormal Breathing Sounds what should I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hhartsong, Nov 19, 2014.

1. hhartsong

hhartsong Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2014
    When I went out to collect the eggs I noticed one of my pullets (red sex-link) making an abnormal breathing sound, otherwise looks and acts normal.... It has been very cold out down in the single digits. I have a 3 other red sex-link pullets, a brown leghorn pullet, and a brown leghorn roo... all of them are in the same area together. Do I need to separate the one with the breathing problem? Should I bring her in the house? What could be wrong with her?? This is my first time raising chickens and also their first winter. What should I do??

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A video would help, but could you describe the abnormal breathing in more detail? Is it rattling, wheezing, stridorous? Do you have good ventilation high in the coop with no direct drafts, no moisture which could cause mold, and no ammonia odor? Those are things that can be a problem causing respiratory symptoms. Have you hear chirping, sneezing, coughing, or gasping? Have you seen any eye or nasal drainage?

3. hhartsong

Jun 25, 2014
    Her breathing sounds raspy and maybe wheezy. I will try to get a video shortly.

4. hhartsong

Jun 25, 2014
    I just went out to check on her and the other chickens.... and now she seems perfectly fine! No breathing difficulty, no mucus from her nostrils or anything. Eating and drinking normal. I have no idea what it could have been early this morning at all. I am baffled!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by