abnormal chest

Lynn WA

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Woodland, WA
This 13-week old cockerel has a protruding chest that looks abnormal. Any thoughts on what it could be and what to do about it?
Thanks!
14581_snuffy.jpg

I don't believe that is his crop...

It is on the right and higher up than that. It looks as it may be a tumor. You need to catch him and inspect him better.

Thanks for your input. I looked up impacted crops, and read that giving him mineral oil as well as massaging the bump may help. We've just done that and will see what happens. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, is active and still eating. My husband could feel stuff in the lump moving around, so hopefully it just needs some loosening up.

that looks quite a bit like the impacted crop we have been dealing with. It was that low... I can send some pics. I think my wifes thread on this topic has the pics on it. I am no vet or chicken expert, but our limited experience and googling gives us a little perspective. We tried the mineral oil, and diet solutions to no avail. She was fine for quite a while but it just got bigger and bigger, until she started having trouble eating. You might get locky with oil and massage of the area, take her food away at night, etc. But if not you will need to decide

1) spend 3 to 4 hundred to have a vet clear it out
2) put the bird out of its misery
3) open the crop and clean it out

The further problem is why the crop is impacted. Sometimes its just a bit of bad luck that starts th eblockage and it gets bigger and bigger. But sometimes its a systemic problem in the bird so even if you clear it out it just comes back.

Back
Top Bottom