Abnormal Droppings

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by survivorchick, Jan 20, 2019.

1. survivorchick

survivorchick Chirping

May 30, 2014
    Northern California
    View attachment 1647790 View attachment 1647791 View attachment 1647792

I have a 3 1/2 year old Brahma with abnormal droppings/diarrhea for the past couple of weeks. I have already bathed her once and did a 5-day coarse of corid (1 teas./1/2 gallon of water) but her droppings still don’t look normal and her vent area is covered again. Any suggestions? Could it be the probiotics I switched to? My two buffs are fine.

Note: I put them all on corid because I lost another Brahma just after Christmas. She had watery, yellow diarrhea and she eventually stopped eating and drinking despite treatment.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  2. Notaneggspurt

Notaneggspurt Songster

May 17, 2016
    TN
    My Coop
    Can you post a picture of her vent area? When you say it's covered do you mean the feathers around the vent?

survivorchick likes this.
  3. survivorchick

survivorchick Chirping

May 30, 2014
    Northern California
    6FD10E6A-07B8-4455-8855-A852DDCC9C87.jpeg
    She’s acting normal. At night, she sleeps in one of the laying boxes instead of on the roost, but she’s been doing that for awhile. They eat a GMO free layer pellet by Bar Ale. The feed store ran out a few months back and they talked me into trying a Nutrena product. Even though I introduced it into their normal feel slowly, that’s approximately when I started noticing an issue with another Brahma that ended up dying. I returned the feed (because they were scattering it) and slowly switched them back to their original feed. I also bought a probiotic powder I add to their water. Occasionally, they eat a small amount of spinach or other leftover vegetable, meal worms, sunflower and pumpkin seeds and plain yogurt. This isn’t a great picture, but you can see her vent area is just covered in poo.
    I should mention that we have had a lot of rain here and sometimes I see them drinking from the puddles.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  4. Saaniya

Saaniya Crowing

Aug 31, 2017
    New Delhi India

Yellow dropping are worms
    Or Ecoli

If there no cocci corid is waste
    I would rather use Sulmet for any bacterial Infection that cause her poop like this
    Is she poop only this type of dropping all day of these kind of poop u see 2-3 times and other are normal ?
    Usually this black tarry poop is considered as a GI bleeding but it could be when they eat tons of fruits and iy cause the Cecal turn black due to sugar content

Give her some boiled rice it helps in loose stool

If you can then I would recommend a fecal float test to clear this doubt

5. survivorchick

survivorchick Chirping

May 30, 2014
    Northern California
    I haven’t been able to follow her around due to all the rain. We are expecting sunshine for the next week though, so I plan to give her a bath and spend some time outside. I don’t feed them fruit so that’s not the issue. I will try the rice. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: