Abnormal duckling or yolk sack issue question...

Dion Fiacre

In the Brooder
Nov 1, 2016
PNW
I already put this in emergencies, but I am also putting this here because I am not sure where it belongs or where I will get the most help....

This duckling hatched, but was dragging its shell around and acting like it was in pain. It looks like its yolk was not fully absorbed? Is this duckling going to make it or was there too much tissue damaged/not absorbed.

I also don't understand what the white stuff is? Could its intestines be affected?

Currently, the duckling is resting by squeezing its body among the other eggs in the incubator. I have also applied blu-kote to the wound.

Last edited:
Navel looks a little swollen and might not be completely closed yet, but it should be fine in about a day... gunk in the shell is leftover hatching goo... it will take it a bit to get its webs under it, but it should be up and about in no time... :)

Love the dark webs!

Thank you for responding, it does seem really strong now. It has been about 3 hours since it has hatched. I wouldn't say it is walking per say (there is no room in there), but it has looped the incubator many times now and seems really alert. It was just kinda startling to see stuff hanging out of its navel.

Glad to help... :)

And that is completely understandable for a first time hatch... we see the cute, fuzzy little ducklings at day old or older, and it's a bit of a shocker to see they don't pop out quite like that, lol... very similar to human babies... the miracle of birth is a messy bit, no matter the species... ;)

Back
Top Bottom